KS2 Marianne North, Victorian plant hunter and artist
Pupils will learn about the life and travels of Marianne North, a Victorian naturalist and prolific botanical artist.
During their exploration of the Marianne North Gallery the pupils will get a feel of what life would have been like for a female world traveller in Victorian times.
They will have the opportunity to take a closer look at some of Marianne North’s paintings of plants found on her many trips to countries around the world. The session will also include producing a piece of artwork to take home.
Pupils will be able to:
- Discover the role Marianne North played in Victorian society as a female explorer, plant hunter and artist.
- Explore how plants are adapted to their environment
- Analyse, describe and evaluate their own work and that of others
We will ensure the learning outcomes focus on the year group taking part.
Plant hunter, explorer, botanical illustrations, Victorian, adaptations, climate, environment, colour, texture, paint
KS2 Art and design
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques about great artists in history.
- a local history study
- a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
Year 3 Plants
- identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flowers
Year 4 Living things and their habitats
- recognise that living things can be grouped in a variety of ways
- articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions
- use spoken language to develop understanding through speculating, hypothesising, imagining and exploring ideas
- speak audibly and fluently with an increasing command of Standard English
- participate in discussions and presentations
- gain, maintain and monitor the interest of the listener(s)
KS2 Geographical skills and fieldwork
- Use maps to locate countries.