Wakehurst car parking charges
In order to maintain the running costs of Wakehurst and continue delivering our outstanding horticultural standards and wonderful visitor experience, car parking charges have now been introduced.
Cars: £2 for the first hour, £5 for two hours, £10 per day.
Please note: free car parking applies to those who purchase a day ticket to enter Wakehurst, to Wakehurst Season Ticket holders and Friends of Kew.
Who has to pay
- National Trust members will retain their free entry to Wakehurst Place, but will pay to park.
- Charges apply to Blue Badge (disabled) cardholders.
- Minibuses and coaches bringing school children on formal education visits will continue to be free.
- Group visits in minibuses and coaches will either pay the current discounted group entry rate for each passenger, or an agreed fee based on the number of paying visitors in the coach.
Why have parking charges been introduced?
Wakehurst is owned by the National Trust and Kew has maintained the gardens and woodlands through a lease since 1965. Currently around 320,000 National Trust members (80% of total visitors to Wakehurst), benefit from free entry and free parking at Wakehurst annually. An endowment left to the National Trust contributes £80,000 a year to Wakehurst but, despite income from commercial activities contributing £750,000, Kew is still left with an annual deficit of £1.4 million, which is not sustainable.
Car parking charges will help generate income which is vital for the future of Wakehurst, allowing us to continue to offer a world class garden, nature reserve and programme of events for our visitors.
Become a Wakehurst Season Ticket holder and get free parking
Wakehurst Season Ticket holders provide much-needed, direct revenue to Kew via their memberships. A Wakehurst Season Ticket costs £25 by direct debit or £30 by cash or credit card - which is around 50p a week for 12 month. This gets you year-round free entry and free parking at Wakehurst plus lots of other benefits. Support us and buy your Season Ticket at the Wakehurst Visitor Centre for:
- free entry to the gardens and Millennium Seed Bank all year round
- free car parking
- one free ticket to Kew Gardens (worth £14.50)
- two free, exclusive open evenings
- 10% off purchases in the Visitor Centre Shop and Plant centre (some exclusions apply)
If you would like to become a Season Ticket holder, you can start benefitting immediately by joining at the Wakehurst Visitor Centre, or if you would like to send one as a gift, please call 01444 894067.
Your questions answered
Read our full list of frequently asked questions to find out more about why parking charges have been introduced.
More from Kew
Art exhibition'Magnolias' features paintings by artist Barbara Oozeerally.
Shop onlineA selection of delicious teas available to buy in our gift shop
Kew bag for lifeFeatures the Kew Gardens logo. From 100% unbleached cotton
Book of the monthPlant Lover's Guides to Dahlias and Salvias