May half-term fun
Join in the family fun at Wakehurst this May half-term and discover the challenges plants and fungi face from pests and diseases through activities, games and workshops.
Outside the Millennium Seed Bank, Wakehurst
Lilly the Pesky Caterpilly workshop: £15
Booking is essential
Ticket includes one adult ticket and car parking
Join us for May half-term fun. Get set for time trail games, go on a Fungi Trail and check out our workshop with Lilly the Pesky Caterpilly.
Lilly the Pesky Caterpilly workshop
Location: Around the Millennium Seed Bank and Bug Garden (Bughurst)
Time: 11am – 1.30pm and 2.30 – 5pm
Age guidance: Best suited for families with children aged 3+. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
The workshop includes:
- Bug Hunt: A Lilly the Pesky Caterpilly bug hunt through the gardens will let kids discover good bugs from bad bugs
- Creative wood work: Carefully create your own caterpilly from wood that will be a great memory of a fun day out
- Master class in fire-lighting
- Fireside cookery: and then roll up your sleeves and get kneading some super tasty caterpillar bread in which you can stir in herbs and edible fungi
- Storytelling around the fire
Funky fun with fungi
Location: Outside the Millennium Seed Bank
Time: 10am – 5pm
Race against the clock while imagining yourself as a puff ball fungus strategically throwing your spores at target. Play plant ‘pick up sticks’ and save precious fungi from pests in the soil.
Grab a map and join a self-led trail where you will discover lots about fungi – both what you see above ground and what is secretly happening beneath your feet.
Giant fungus installation
Do you want to be a part of the Wood Wide Web? Let our giant fungus introduce you to the wonders of Kingdom Fungi, help you communicate with each other and join the most extensive network ever imagined! It's a dynamic and interactive installation from Kew’s outreach project, Grow Wild.