Glow Wild 2020
Join us at Wakehurst on a spellbinding winter lantern trail for all ages.
Entry time slots every 20 minutes between 4.30pm and 8.10pm.
Gardens close at 10pm.
Trail starts at The Oaks, an avenue of ancient oak trees
Wakehurst or Kew member - Adult: £13*
Wakehurst or Kew member - Family (2 adults & 2 children): £42*
Children (4 – 16): £9*
Infants (under 4) and carers: Free*
Family (2 adults & 2 children): £46*
*Car parking is included in ticket price
Let the magic begin...
Now in its seventh year, our enchanting lantern trail is full of surprises and new installations.
As darkness falls, the gardens are brought to life with glowing lanterns, mesmerising projections, immersive soundscapes, and glistening torches of fire.
Marvel at the UK’s tallest living Christmas tree decorated with 1,800 lights and join us in a celebration of the hidden heroes of the plant and fungal world, from a grain of pollen or fungus spore to a seed on the wind. It is sure to be an unmissable evening of winter wonder.
New for 2020
Among familiar favourites, three brand-new artists are creating installations for Glow Wild 2020.
- From Amsterdam's canals to Wakehurst's Black Pond, OGE Group are bringing you their award-winning 'Light a Wish' installation; a series of delicately suspended, gently sparkling dandelion seed heads.
- Wakehurst’s Winter Garden will be adorned with magical fungi-lanterns created by graphic artist and sculptor Sarah Hall-Baqai. Her fantastical fungal forms are inspired by Katie Scott’s spellbinding illustrations in the book Fungarium.
- International digital design studio, The Colour Project, will cast their story-telling magic onto the giant canvas of Wakehurst’s Elizabethan Mansion, revealing the secret life of fungi, and will illuminate the Pinetum with majestic barn owls swooping between trees.
For the first time, Glow Wild 2020 will run closer to Christmas.
With dates between Christmas and New Year, Glow Wild will liven up this year's festivities.
We are offering a limited number of 'quiet session' tickets. These are suitable for visitors with disabilities, such as autism, to make for a more comfortable visit whilst still experiencing the sensory benefits of Glow Wild.
Quiet sessions offer access before the general public and will be available on 3, 10, 12, 13 and 17 December at 4.15pm.
We ask that other visitors respect the quiet sessions and do not book during these limited time slots.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) notice
You can book with confidence for Glow Wild. Come along knowing that the safety and wellbeing of our visitors is of the upmost importance to us. We are continually monitoring and responding to the Covid-19 pandemic situation as it evolves. Any updates will be communicated with you ahead of your visit.
To deliver a safe event for visitors:
- We have revised our entry time slots and the queuing system to manage visitor flow
- There will be additional cleaning across the route each night
- The indoor catering facilities are under review
- At present we do not plan to run the lantern-making activity in the Mansion, but lantern-making kits will be available for pre-purchase and collection at the event
Please observe the onsite and government guidance on hygiene and social distancing.
If Glow Wild is cancelled due to coronavirus, you will be notified and offered an alternative date, if available, or a full refund.
If you are unable to attend because of government restrictions in place due to coronavirus, please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your booking reference number at the earliest opportunity to discuss further.