Dos & don'ts
Help us to look after Wakehurst and protect our plants for years to come by following these simple rules.
Help us keep you safe
- You should not enter the gardens if you think you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Keep 2m away from other people not in your group
- Please follow government guidance and limit your party to follow the Rule of 6 or two households when indoors
- Outdoors, gatherings of over 30 people are not allowed in the gardens
- Regularly wash your hands and avoid touching your face. Check the NHS guidelines for more
- Come prepared with your own hand sanitiser, tissues, and contactless ways to pay
- Wear a face covering when inside all buildings, including in the Visitor Centre (unless you’re unable to wear one). We encourage you to wear a mask when on popular paths
- Help us limit visitor numbers by not sitting on the grass or benches for long periods of time
- Please refrain from approaching our horticultural teams whilst they work as they are social distancing.
Unfortunately, if we see that these rules are not being observed, we will have to take immediate action, including asking people to leave, or closing the gardens entirely.
- Any children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Only registered disability assistance dogs are allowed in the gardens and must be on a lead - please leave your pets at home
- Help protect our plants and trees so everyone can enjoy them - climbing, picking or pruning is not allowed
- Please avoid squashing our precious plants by not walking over planted areas in the gardens
- Bicycles, tricycles, roller skates, skateboards, micro-scooters, balance bikes and other vehicles (except powered wheelchairs) must be left at the gates
- Leave the flying to the birds - drones and other remotely controlled aircraft are not allowed
- Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of Wakehurst - please don't bring radios, music players and musical instruments into the gardens
- Wakehurst is the perfect place for picnics – but please don’t picnic on the two grass lawns directly in front of the mansion and please don't bring barbecues or picnic furniture
- To protect our lawns, ball games and sports (including jogging) are not allowed in the gardens