I worked as an ornithologist from 1979 to 1990 in the UK, Ireland, France, Malaysia and Thailand. In 1991 I obtained an MSc in EIA at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Since 1994, I have been self-employed, I am joint county bryophyte recorder for Gloucestershire for the British Bryological Society; general aquatics referee and taxon-specific referee for Callitriche, Sparganium, Zannichellia and Ranunculus subgenus Batrachium for the Botanical Society of the British Isles and irecord reviewer for the same taxa. I serve on the IUCN Freshwater Conservation Committee and chair both the IUCN SSC Freshwater Plant Specialist Group and the Natural England Taxon Advisory Group for Aquatic Plants.
I mainly undertake four types of work:
- Taxon-specific work - including studies of Alisma gramineum, Damasonium alisma, Luronium natans, Pilularia globulifera, Ranunculus tripartitus, Ranunculus tripartitus and Tolypella intricata.
- Taxonomic and conservation work on the genus Callitriche.
- Use of standardised survey techniques such as RHS, RCS, LEAFPACS, Macrophyte Survey, MTR, Phase I and Phase II habitat survey and NVC, as well as Site Condition Monitoring of standing and flowing waters and non-standardised surveys of fungi and bryophytes.
- Ecological surveys for Environmental Impact Assessment. I have published more than 80 scientific articles and contributions to books and have worked in more than fifty countries.
- MSc EIA in Asia, University of Wales, Aberystwyth 1990
- Chair of the IUCN SSC Freshwater Plant Specialist Group
- Chair of the Natural England Aquatic Plant Taxon Group
- IUCN Freshwater Conservation Committee
- Conseil Scientifique, Parc Naturel Regional de la Brenne
- Conseil Scientfique, Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest
- British Ecological Society BSBI Referee for Callitriche, Ranunculus subgenus Batrachium, Sparganium, Zannichellia palustris and general aquatic plants
Lansdown, R., Cousins, M., Gargiulo, R. and Fay, M. (2018).
Hybridisation and the conservation of Nuphar pumila (Least Water-lily).
BSBI News 137: 14-19.
Lansdown, R.V., Glen, R. and Hassemer, G. (2017).
Phytotaxa 317: 219–225.
Lansdown, R.V., Bazos, I., Caria, M.C., Troia, A. and Wieringa, J. (2017).
New distribution and taxonomic information on Callitriche (Plantaginaceae) in the Mediterranean region
Phytotaxa 313: 91-104.
Lansdown, R.V., Ottley, T.W., Phillips, E. and Rumsey, F.J. (2016).
Atrichum angustatum in Britain - its status and conservation.
Field Bryology 116: 10-19.
Lansdown, R.V., Houri, A., Kavak, S., Machaka-Houri, N. and Smith, K.G. (2014).
In Smith, K.G., Barrios, V., Darwall, W.R.T. and Numa, C. (Eds.). 2014. The status and distribution of freshwater biodiversity in the Eastern Mediterranean. IUCN, Cambridge, UK, Malaga, Spain and Gland, Switzerland.