22 April 2021
My research focuses on the identification of biochemicals from plants and fungi, establishing their structures, and the development of the biochemicals to commercially valuable products for pharmaceuticals, agricultural, cosmetics and other applications. The work are funded by Innovate UK, and previously funded by Kew, AMS GCRF and RSC. Amongst others, I am currently working (i) to develop plant-based formulations and environmentally benign extraction procedures for pyrethrum and reinvigorate the pyrethrum sector in Kenya, (ii) optimising effective uses for by-products from Croton megalocarpus seed oil extraction in East Africa, and (iii) understanding the chemicals of the Croton and Vepris genera, and their uses.
- GCLT, University of Surrey, UK, 2014
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Surrey, 2009-2012
- Visiting Fellow, North Carolina State University, Kannapolis, North Carolina, US, 2011
- PhD, University of Surrey, UK, 2009
- Visiting Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, 2005
- MSc, Egerton University, Kenya, 2005
- BEd (Sci), Egerton University, Kenya, 2002
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Surrey, UK (Dr Moses Langat | University of Surrey)
- Examiner for the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Examiner for the Tshwane University of Technology, South Africa
- Examiner for the University of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
- Supervisor for Research students at the University of Surrey (UK), Kingston University (UK), Tshwane University of Technology (South Africa), University of Nairobi (Kenya), Egerton University (Kenya) & University of Douala (Cameroon)
- Editorial Board, Scientific African
Optimising by-products from Croton megalocarpus seed oil extraction
A diverse industrial natural product for sustainable development in East Africa.
Pyrethrum in Bloom: Bringing back the power of pyrethrum to enhance livelihoods of small holders in Kenya
Developing plant-based formulations and environmentally benign extraction procedures for pyrethrum and reinvigorating the pyrethrum sector in Kenya
Morrison, I.J., Zhang, J., Lin, J., Murray, J. E., Porter, R., Langat, M.K. et al. (2021).
Potential chemopreventive, anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties of a refined artocarpin-rich wood extract of Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.
Scientific Reports 11: 1-10.
Langat, M.K., Dlova, N.C., Mulcahy-Ryan, L.E. et al. (2021)
The effect of isolates from Cassipourea flanaganii (Schinz) alston, a plant used as a skin lightning agent, on melanin production and tyrosinase inhibition.
Journal of Ethnopharmacology 264: 113272
Koch, H., Woodward, J., Langat, M.K., Brown, M.J.K & Stevenson, P.C., (2019).
Current Biology 29: 3494-3500.
Thuerig, B., James, E. E., Scharer, H. J., Langat, M. K., et al. (2017).
Reducing copper use in the environment: The use of larixol and larixyl acetate to treat downy mildew caused by Plasmopara viticola in viticulture. Short title: Use of larch extracts against Plasmopara viticola.
Pest Management Science 74: 477–488.
Mulholland, D. A., Thuerig, B., Langat, M. K., et al. (2017).
Efficacy of extracts from eight economically important forestry species against grapevine downy mildew (Plasmopara viticola) and identification of active constituents.
Crop Protection 102: 104-109.