22 October 2019
My role as a researcher in the Identification and Naming department’s Africa and Madagascar team is to investigate the evolution, biodiversity and conservation status of African and Madagascan plants. I am currently involved in several research projects focusing on the Cyperaceae or sedge family. Current research is aimed building a framework to investigate evolution in Cyperaceae using targeted sequencing data obtained using the Angiosperm-353 baits developed for Kew’s Plant and Fungal Trees of Life project. One of the characters studied in the family is C4 photosynthesis.
Other projects focus on investigating:
- the historical biogeography and niche evolution of the genus Scleria,
- the origins and diversification of Cyperaceae in Madagascar,
- the generic limits and relationships in the Cyperaceae tribes Abildgaardieae and Schoeneae.
I am also engaged in Kew’s Tropical Important Plant Areas project, particularly in Guinea. Besides African and Madagascan flora, further research interests include Cactaceae and Neotropical Magnoliaceae.
- BSc (Great distinction), Ghent University (Belgium), 2004
- MSc (Great distinction), Ghent University (Belgium), 2006
- PhD, Ghent University (Belgium), 2011
- B.A. Krukoff Curator of African Botany
- Visiting Professor, Ghent University (Belgium)
- Member IUCN-SSC Freshwater Plant Specialist Group
- Associate editor, Kew Bulletin
- Associate editor, Plant Ecology and Evolution
- Academic editor, PeerJ
Semmouri, I., Bauters, K., Léveillé-Bourret, É., Starr, J.R., Goetghebeur, P. & Larridon, I. (2019)
Botanical Review 85: 1-39.
Larridon, I., Rabarivola. L., Xanthos. M. & Muasya, A.M. (2019).
Revision of the Afro-Madagascan genus Costularia (Cyperaceae): infrageneric relationships and species delimitation.
Veltjen, E., Asselman, P., Palmarola Bejerano, A., Hernández Rodríguez, M., Testé Lozano, E., González-Torres, L.R., Goetghebeur, P., Larridon, I. & Samain, M.S. (2019).
Heredity 122: 485-500.
Larridon, I., Semmouri, I., Bauters, K., Viljoen, J.A., Prychid, C.J., Muasya, A.M., Bruhl, J.J., Wilson, K.A. & Goetghebeur, P. (2018).
Molecular phylogenetics of the genus Costularia (Schoeneae, Cyperaceae) reveals multiple distinct evolutionary lineages.
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 126:196-209.
Larridon, I., Walter, H.E., Rosas, M., Vandomme, V. & Guerrero, P.C. (2018).
Evolutionary trends in the columnar cactus genus Eulychnia (Cactaceae) based on molecular phylogenetics, morphology, distribution and habitat.
Systematics and Biodiversity 16: 643-657.
Researching the biodiversity, evolution and ecology of Cyperaceae, one of Africa’s most diverse monocot families.
GCRF Underutilised Plants of Tropical Africa Hub
Turning plant diversity in Sub-Saharan Africa into an economic resource for community livelihoods.
Tropical Important Plant Areas in Guinea-Conakry
Identifying Tropical Important Plant Areas (TIPAs) of Guinea-Conakry, West Africa.