I manage the Kew Madagascar Conservation Centre (KMCC), including coordination of its research and conservation programme. My systematics research focuses on the Euphorbiaceae and Phyllanthaceae, including a revision of Madagascan Phyllanthus and their conservation assessment. Over 90% of Madagascan plant species are endemic and many have highly restricted distribution. My work on our overall knowledge of patterns of diversity in Madagascar is helping to inform conservation planning, particularly the prioritization of species and areas. The education programme focuses on three key areas:
1) informing communities about local biodiversity, conservation, appropriate livelihoods and development practices e.g. energy efficient stoves
2) informing schools about biodiversity and conservation in Madagascar and providing materials for teachers
3) professional training for Malagasy researchers and Kew MSc. students.
- BSc, Natural Sciences, Univ. of Antanarivo, Madagascar, 1989
- MSc, Plant Ecology, Univ. of Antanarivo, Madagascar, 1990
- DEA, Univ. of Antanarivo, Madagascar, 1994
- PhD, Taxonomy and biogeography of Phyllanthaceae in MadagascarUniv. of Antanarivo, Madagascar, 2007
- IUCN-SSC Madagascar Plant Specialist Group (GSPM)
- AETFAT 2010 Organising Committee
Ralimanana, H., Hoffmann, P. (2013).
Taxonomic revision of Phyllanthus(Phyllanthaceae) in Madagascar and the Comoro Islands III: subgenera Swartziani, Afroswartziani and Emblica.
Kew Bulletin 68: 535-558.
Ralimanana, H. (2013).
Biogeography and conservation status of Phyllanthus(Phyllantaceae) in Madagascar.
Scripta Botanica Belgica 50: 50-53.
Besnard, G., Christin, P.-A., Male, P.-J.G., Croissac, E., Ralimanana, H.& Vorontsova, M. (2013).
Annals of Botany 112: 1057-1066.
Ralimanana, H., Hoffmann, P. (2011).
Taxonomic revision of Phyllanthus(Phyllanthaceae) in Madagascar and the Comoro Islands I: synopsis and subgenera Isocladus, Betsileani, Kirganelia and Tenellanthus.
Kew Bulletin 66: 331-335.
Kathriarachchi, H., Samuel, R., Hoffmann, P., Mlinarec, J., Wurdack, J.K.,Ralimanana, H., Stuessy, T.F. & Chase, M. W. (2006).
Phylogenetics of tribe Phyllantheae (Phyllanthaceae; Euphorbiaceae sensu lato) based on nrITS and plastid matK DNA sequence data.
American Journal of Botany 93: 637-655.