29 November 2019
My research in the Comparative Seed Biology group aims to reveal the fundamental basis of desiccation and low temperature stress tolerance in seeds, particularly in relation to successful cryopreservation. In addition to studies on recalcitrant seeds (e.g. oaks), I am interested in the variation in longevity in plant propagules, from fern spores as a unicellular model to more complex systems. Often these studies involve making structural and biophysical determinations. I also carry out teaching and training activities for staff and supervise undergraduate, MSc and PhD students.
- BSc in Biology. University of Valencia. Spain, 2001.
- Pedagogic aptitude course (CAP) (equivalent to MEd). University of Valencia, Spain. 2002
- Advanced Studies Diploma (DEA) (equivalent to MSc). University of Valencia, Spain 2004.
- PhD in botany and plant physiology. University of Valencia, Spain. 2008.
- Research Associate, Botanical Garden of the University of Valencia-ICBiBE (Germplasm Bank). Valencia, Spain, 2003-2007
- Research Biologist, Pharmacology Department, University of Valencia, Spain, 2007-2009.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation, ARS, USDA. Fort Collins, CO, USA, 2009-2011.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, 2012-2013.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife (CREW). Cincinnati zoo and botanical garden, USA, 2013-2014.
- Research Biologist in the EU-ENPI funded project ECOPLANTMED. Center Conservation Biodiversity (CCB), Univeristy of Cagliari, Italy, 2014-2015.
Ballesteros, D., Hill, L.M., Lynch, R.T., Pritchard, H.W. & Walters, C. (2019).
Longevity of Preserved Germplasm: The Temperature Dependency of Aging Reactions in Glassy Matrices of Dried Fern Spores.
Plant and Cell Physiology 60: 376–392.
Ballesteros, D., Hill, L.M. & Walters, C. (2017).
Journal of Plant Physiology 211: 53–62.
Ballesteros, D., & Pence, V.C. (2017).
Survival and death of seeds during liquid nitrogen storage: a case study on seeds with short lifespans.
Cryoletters 38: 278-289.
Ballesteros, D., Sershen, Berjak, P., Vargheese, B. & Pammenter, N.W. (2014).
Rapid drying of zygotic embryos and embryonic axes from recalcitrant seeds for cryopreservation: challenges and considerations.
Cryobiology 69: 100-109.
Ballesteros, D. & Walters, C. (2011).
Detailed characterization of mechanical properties and molecular mobility within dry seed glasses: Relevance to the physiology of dry biological systems.
The Plant Journal 68: 607-619.
Walters, C., Ballesteros, D., Vertucci, V.A. (2010)
Plant Science 179: 565-573
Get in touch
BBC One, Countryfile
Cincinnati Enquirer: Zoo pulls plants out of deep freeze
ISIS Neutron and Muon Source: Kew measures spores on IRIS to understand seed storage