Dr A Martyn Ainsworth
Fungal Diversity and Systematics
Researching fungal diversity, taxonomy, identification and conservation with a focus on Basidiomycota and British/European taxa
My field-, laboratory- and collections-based role involves resolving taxonomic issues and identifying fungi with a principal focus on basidiomycetes and wood-inhabiting saprotrophs of relevance to a range of topical questions such as:
- Which taxa occur in Britain and Europe and how is this changing over time?
- What are the geographic distributions, ecological preferences and population structures of these taxa and their trends?
- Which taxa should be red-listed, prioritised for action plans, protected and monitored and how should these tasks be accomplished?
- BSc (Hons Botany), University of Bristol, 1978
- PhD (Mycology), University of Bath, 1984
Ainsworth, A.M., Smith, J.H., Boddy, L., Dentinger, B.T.M., Jordan, M., Parfitt, D., Rogers, H.J. & Skeates, S.J. (2013).
Red List of Fungi for Great Britain: Boletaceae. A pilot conservation assessment based on national database records, fruit body morphology and DNA barcoding.
Species Status 14. JNCC Peterborough.
Lodge D.J., Padamsee M., Matheny P.B., Aime M.C., Cantrell S.A., Boertmann D., Kovalenko A., Vizzini A., Dentinger B.T.M., Kirk P.M., Ainsworth A.M., et al. (2014).
Molecular phylogeny, morphology, pigment chemistry and ecology in Hygrophoraceae (Agaricales).
Fungal Diversity 64: 1-99.
Ainsworth, A.M., Cannon, P.F. & Dentinger. B.T.M. (2013).
DNA barcoding and morphological studies reveal two new species of waxcap mushrooms (Hygrophoraceae) in Britain.
MycoKeys 7: 45-62.
Spooner, B.M. & Ainsworth, A.M. (2014)
The extinct, the extant and the excluded pt. 1: Clavariadelphus and a teratological form of Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca.
Field Mycology 15: 51-52.
Ainsworth, A.M. (2014).
The extinct, the extant and the excluded pt. 2: a reassessment of fungi published as extinct in England.
Field Mycology 15: 53-56.