Office of the Science Directorate
Providing support for Kew's scientific research departments, this includes: legal compliance, science communication and securing funding.
The Office of the Science Directorate provides support for Kew's research departments and is composed of five teams:
A team to make sure Kew staff are kept informed of developments in Conservation Policy. We provide expert advice, support and training on international biodiversity conventions, and prepare collaborative research agreements. We also advise Defra and ensure Kew science informs policy decisions at the national and international level.
- Sonia Dhanda, Science Officer - CITES
- Rosemary Simpson, Science Officer - CITES
- David Whitehead, Science Officer - CITES
Education and Communication
This team coordinates Kew's scientific education programmes and internal and external science communication activities. Members work to promote our world-class research and lead on delivering our MSc in Plant and Fungal Taxonomy, Diversity and Conservation in conjunction with Queen Mary University of London.
Team lead: Dr Richard Gianfrancesco
- Dr Pat Griggs, Science Education Administrator
- Hollie White, Science Education Administrator
- Dr Chelsea Snell, Digital Communications Officer - Science
- Greg Palmer, Science Communications Administrator
Health & Safety and Estates Liaison
A team to ensure a safe working environment across the Science Directorate, members work on improving sustainable working practices and act as a point of contact to Estates.
Team lead: Keith Manger
- Dr Elaine Porter, H&S and Estates Liason Officer
- Noor Juna, H&S and Estates Liason Officer
- Toni Risebro, Support Officer, MSB
- Carol Pearce, Support Officer, MSB
- Jayne Elson, MSB Receptionist
- Sally Lambert, MSB Receptionist
The Research Services team provide a crucial service to Kew scientists to help them to achieve the external funding required to deliver Kew’s scientific vision. The team provides expert advice, training and support to Kew scientists throughout the lifecycle of a project, from developing ideas and proposals, internal approvals and submissions, to the support of successful awards, closedown of projects, and scoping potential follow-on funding.
Team lead: Dr Maria Fitzpatrick
- Jenny Martin, Research Support Officer
- Grace Roberson, Research Support Officer
Senior Science Support
This team provides a strategic and operational support to the Director of Science, Deputy Directors of Science and Heads of Science Departments.
Team lead: Dr James Wearn
- Eileen McManus, PA to the Director of Science
- Anabel Evans, PA to the Deputy Directors of Science
- Elizabeth Howard, PA to the Deputy Directors of Science
- Sophie Bidault, PA to Senior Science Team
- Mark Martin, PA to Senior Science Team
Ensuring conservation policy is integrated into all processes at Kew and providing scientific advice to Defra and the Animal and Plant Health Agency for CITES.
MSc in Plant and Fungal Taxonomy, Diversity and Conservation
Students gain an in-depth understanding of plant and fungal taxonomy and diversity alongside evolutionary biology and conservation theory and practice.