Children join the 'Green Fairy' to explore the gardens at Wakehurst. In a series of fun activities to stimulate an awareness of nature the children match shapes, colours and textures and find enough fallen leaves, petals and twigs to complete the fairy's outfit. They also use their collections to make themselves a head band and/or magic wand. As a grand finale the Green Fairy invites all her wonderful helpers to pose for a magical group photograph.
- Length: Approximately 2 hours.
- Group size: 20 students (maximum).
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 2 children for Foundation and 1:5 for KS1.
- Programme cost: Half-day visit.
We design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the National Curriculum. All our sessions have a cross-curricular approach and are tailored to suit the educational needs of your group.
This session offers pupils the opportunity to:
- listen to and follow the ‘Green Fairy's' instructions
- walk and cooperate in groups
- explore and observe the natural surroundings
- match shapes, colours, textures in nature
- talk about their findings
- count as they walk
- make a collection
- listen for sounds in nature
- create a headband or wand using natural materials
All areas of the EYFS curriculum are supported in a cross-curricular form.
The prime areas of learning:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
The specific areas of learning:
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design