13 September 2019
10 Glow Wild secrets
Delve behind the scenes of Wakehurst’s enchanting winter lantern trail.
2. The trail will have a unique soundscape, produced from recordings of Wakehurst’s nocturnal world. Ithica Studio is behind the evocative piece, capturing our whispering trees and stirring night-time wildlife.
3. Along the route you’ll see more than 800 glowing lanterns of different shapes and sizes. But we also have around 400 spares ready just in case.
4. The biggest lantern is the moon, reaching a whopping 8ft in height. This showstopper is hard to miss, hanging over Black Pond.
5. It’s a mammoth task to hang all the lanterns, taking around four weeks to complete.
6. And making them is no small effort – it takes more than 600 hours for the volunteers to construct all of the lanterns.
8. Lighting up the landscape are also 500 fire torches. Igniting them has to be left as late as possible each night so the torches don’t run out of fuel before the end of the evening. The cans are then re-filled during the week before the next Thursday night.
9. The luminous installations are all inspired by Wakehurst's 500 acres of wild and wonderful woodland, plants and wildlife.
10. Glow Wild is home to the tallest living Christmas tree in the UK which sparkles with 1,800 lights.