Kew Specialist Certificate in Propagation
A one year, full time course for horticulture students to gain a specialist certificate in propagating seeds and plants.
About the course
This course is perfect for horticulturists wishing to specialise in a particular area of horticulture by spending a full year within that area of specialism.
Open to horticulturists anywhere in the world who would like to come to Kew to undertake some professional training in some of Kew’s unique plant collections.This course runs from September to September.
This programme involves:
- working full-time within the following areas where propagation is undertaken – Moist Tropics, Dry Tropics, Temperate, Orchids, Alpine and Arboretum Nursery
- undertaking a two week exchange with students from other horticultural establishments that have significant propagation departments
- attending the Kew Diploma lectures on Environmental controls and Propagation
- completing a Pest and Disease project looking at a range of P&D affecting propagated plants
- FEPA PA1 & PA6aw
- Manual handling course
- Health & Safety training
- £14,255, which includes a book allowance of £725
- are expected to hold as a minimum a Level 2 qualification in Horticulture
- should have six months* practical experience in a professional horticultural environment (*six months in total – not, for example, one day a week for six months)
- must be computer literate with the ability to produce word-processed coursework
- from overseas are considered, and acceptance is subject to a work permit being granted for non-EU nationals. A good working knowledge of the English language is essential and evidence to that effect will be requested