Kew Specialist Certificate in Kitchen Garden Production
A one year, full time course to gain a specialist certificate in working in a kitchen garden cultivating a range of vegetables and fruit.
About the course
This course is perfect for horticulturists wishing to specialise in a particular area of horticulture by spending a full year within that area of specialism.
Open to horticulturists anywhere in the world who would like to come to Kew to undertake some professional training in some of Kew’s unique plant collections.This course runs from September to September.
The programme involves:
- working full-time within Kew’s Kitchen Garden
- undertaking a two week exchange with students from other horticultural establishments that have significant kitchen gardens. For example, NT Knightshayes, RHS Garden Wisely, Garden Organic’s – Audley End
Students will attend appropriate Kew Diploma lectures linked to fruit and vegetable production.
A pest and disease project will be carried out, looking at a range of pests and diseases affecting fruit and vegetable plants.
- FEPA PA1 & PA6aw
- Manual handling course
- Health & Safety training
- £14,255, which includes a book allowance of £725
Appilicants are expected as a minimum:
- to hold a Level 2 qualification in horticulture
- to have six months* of practical experience in a professional horticultural environment (*six months in total - not, for example, one day a week for six months)
- to be computer literate, with the ability to produce word-processed coursework
- a good working knowledge of the English language is essential and evidence to that effect will be requested
- applicants from overseas will be considered, and acceptance is subject to a Work Permit being granted for non-EU nationals