Kew Explorer land train
NOT RUNNING Enjoy a guided tour around the Gardens on the Kew Explorer land train and learn about Kew's flora and fauna, historic buildings and vital conservation work.
Date and time
We are sorry to inform you that this service is not running until further notice in line with government guidance during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The Kew Explorer land train is a relaxed and gentle way to explore our Gardens and learn about our diverse living collection.
The route typically includes the following sites:
Stop 1: Victoria Gate for Victoria Plaza shop and café, Palm House, The Botanical café, membership desk and information desk.
Stop 2: Temperate House for Marianne North Gallery, Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art, Davies Exploration House, and Pavilion Restaurant.
Stop 3: The Great Pagoda for Lion Gate and Japanese Gateway.
Stop 4: Natural Area and Woodland for Pinetum, Log Trail, Badger Sett, Stag Beetle Loggery, Queen Charlotte's Cottage, Waterlily Pond, Lake, and Sackler Crossing.
Stop 5: Rhododendron Dell for Bamboo Garden, Rhododendron Dell, Minka House, Riverside Walk and Oak collection.
Stop 6: Brentford Gate and car park
Stop 7: Elizabeth Gate/Orangery for Orangery restaurant, White Peaks café and shop, Children's Garden, Climbers and Creepers, Queen's Garden, and Kew Palace.
Severe weather conditions may disrupt service and from time to time we need to remove services or close a stop due to essential maintenance.
Please note, at peak times this popular service can be full and you may need to hop on the next train.
- Runs from main departure stop at Victoria Gate Plaza.
- Times vary so check at the gate for the day's schedule.
- You also speak to the Explorer drivers or refer to the Garden signs for on-the-day depature information.
- Full tour of the Gardens takes 40 minutes.
- Ticket holders can get on and off at any stop on the route (seven stops in total).
- Space for one manual fixed-wheel wheelchair in the back carriage of each vehicle.
- Limited room for storage of folded up wheelchairs and pushchairs.