Climb the Great Pagoda
Venture up 253 steps to the top of the Great Pagoda and enjoy spectacular views across London. Open daily.
10.30am-5.30pm, last entry 5pm
Various timeslots will be available
Normal Gardens entry prices apply
Great Pagoda tickets:
Essential carers go free
10% discount for Kew members: Book online here
HRP Members go free: Book online here
Please note: there are 35 spaces available every 30 minutes. 25 of those slots can be prebooked with your Garden ticket.10 tickets are for sale at the entry gates, or at the Pagoda.
18th century splendour
The Great Pagoda was designed by Sir William Chambers and completed in 1762 as a gift for Princess Augusta, the founder of the botanic gardens at Kew. It offered one of the earliest and finest bird’s eye views of London.
Now, following a major restoration project, you can once again climb the 253 steps to the top of the Great Pagoda and marvel at spectacular views.
Inside the ten-storey octagonal tower our new exhibition will reveal why the Pagoda was built and how the Royal Family used this unique building.
About the restoration
Historic Royal Palaces, in partnership with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, have completed a major conservation project which has seen the Great Pagoda returned to its 18th-century splendour.
The restoration includes the re-introduction of 80 dragons, which originally adorned the roofs. Some of these new dragons have been carved from wood and gilded with real gold.
- Kew members can enter the Gardens free of charge.
- Kew members get a 10% discount on Great Pagoda tickets. Enter your membership number in the promotional code box when purchasing tickets.
Historic Royal Palaces members
- Historic Royal Palaces members get a 10% discount on Gardens entry.
- Historic Royal Palaces members can climb the Great Pagoda free of charge. Simply present your membership card.
Everything you need to know
Available dates: The Pagoda is open every day from 5 April to 29 September 2019, then weekends and half-term in October and the first weekend in November 2019.
- The Great Pagoda is a challenging climb of 253 steps.
- Do not attempt the climb if you have any health conditions you feel may be made worse by the experience.
- Children under 5 years old are not permitted above the ground floor.
- Your ticket admits you to the Great Pagoda for a 30 minute timeslot. Latecomers will be accommodated where we can, but if the following timeslot is fully booked, this may not be possible.
- To preserve the historic fabric of the building, large bags* may not be brought inside. Lockers are available at Victoria Gate.
- The Great Pagoda is situated in the southern end of Kew Gardens, near the Temperate House. Please be aware of the average walking times from the Gardens entrances:
Elizabeth Gate – 30 minutes
Victoria Gate – 15 minutes
Lion Gate – 5 minutes
Brentford Gate (car park) – 40 minutes
*A large bag constitutes a bag larger than the normal airline carry-on size (22cm x 35cm x 56cm).