A deciduous canopy of mature oaks, limes and birches provides shade for an under-layer of maples (such as the coral bark maple Acer palmatum 'Sango-kuku') and rhododendrons (for example, Rhododendron 'Bulstrode Park').
These, in turn, protect low-growing shrubs such as hostas (including Hosta longissima), bellflowers (Campanula latifolia), hellebores, primulas, North American trilliums and Himalayan blue poppies.
The Grade II-listed Temple of Aeolus sits within the Woodland Garden on Cumberland Mount, an artificial mound created using spoil from the Lake and enclosing a brick water cistern. It offers views northwest across the surrounding woodland.
Designed by Sir William Chambers, it was built in the 1760s to Aeolus, the ruler of the winds in Greek mythology. Originally built of wood, it had a revolving seat providing a panoramic view of Kew Gardens. By 1845, the temple had fallen into a 'ruinous state' and was rebuilt by Decimus Burton in stone.