The plants in the Queen's Garden are exclusively those grown in Britain before and during the 17th century.
The plant labelling differs from Kew's norm. They include not only today's botanical name and family, but also the common name in the 17th century plus a virtue or quotation from a herbal (plant book).
There are several pieces of sculpture in the garden including a marble satyr, a Venetian well head and five 18th-century terms, commissioned by HRH Frederick, Prince of Wales in 1734–5. These are considered to be the oldest pieces of sculpture at Kew.
Enclosed in box hedges is a parterre with a pond at the centre. In the pond stands a copy of Verocchio's 'Boy with a Dolphin', the original of which is in Florence's Palazzo Vecchio.
The garden was conceived in 1959 by Kew Director Sir George Taylor, and officially opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II ten years later.
In May and June the display of flowers on the laburnum pergola is spectacular. Its golden yellow and sweet scented flowers, appearing in chains (racemes) up to 25 cm long.
One of Britain's most popular flowering trees, the common laburnum is also among the most poisonous.