The garden was planted in 2007 to depict a typical Mediterranean natural habitat.
It aims to highlight the economic uses of Mediterranean plants, the diversity of life the habitat supports and the conservation efforts needed to ensure its survival.
Stone pines (Pinus pinea), Tuscan olive trees (Olea europaea) and the green spires of Italian cypress (Cupress sempervivens) grow above shrubs such as Cistus and lavender (Lavandula lanata).
In the centre of the Mediterranean Garden stands King William's Temple, built in 1837 for Queen Victoria, in memory of William IV.
It was designed by William IV’s architect Sir Jeffry Wyatville, to complement Chambers’ Temple of Victory (no longer standing).
Its Tuscan porticos contain iron plaques commemorating British military victories from 1760 to 1815.