The Great Seed SwapSat 17 September 2011
Come and exchange your home-grown seeds with other gardeners, or pick up saved seeds for a small donation.
Tomato and seeds (Image: Heritage Seed Library, Garden Organic).
The Great Seed Swap
- Saturday 17 September 2011, 11am to 5pm
- Kew's Millennium Seed Bank, Wakehurst
- £2 entry, children under 17 free (garden entrance not included)
- No booking required
About this event
This is the first community seed swap to be held at Kew's Millennium Seed Bank, Wakehurst. Bring seeds that you have saved from your garden and exchange them with other gardeners. We are especially excited about those long-forgotten varieties that have been passed down through generations. For a small donation, you will also be able to choose seeds from a range of varieties of garden vegetables and flowers, supplied by community groups and growers associations.
Talks and activities
Have a look at the full programme for this event. Throughout the day you can join:
- informative talks from James Wong and Matthew Biggs, as well as Kew and Garden Organic staff
- cooking demonstrations with the Community Chef, using heritage vegetables (recipes below)
- children's activities including plant discovery, seed cleaning and planting
- practical demonstrations of seed saving and storage
- 'behind the scenes' guided tours of heritage vegetable displays in the Wakehurst nursery
You will also be able to browse stalls selling local produce, alongside seed and plant stalls. This event forms part of a partnership between Kew and Garden Organic's Heritage Seed Library, and is supported by Seedy Sunday (Brighton and Hove).
Helping to protect plant life
By saving unusual garden varieties from extinction, together we will be helping to protect the wonderful variety of plant life on earth.
- How do I save my garden seeds? Find out, with the Heritage Seed Library's Seed Saving Guidelines.
- Buy a Mini Seed Bank in which to dry and store your seeds.
- See the menu of dishes to be cooked by the Community Chef and discover his recipes.
- Coming up at Wakehurst
- Opening times
- More garden attractions
- How to find us
- Become a member
- Ticket prices
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
- english garden
- around the world
- ground breaking
- for kids
- english heritage
- for friends
- gifts that help
- the UK
- brand new
- for plant lovers
- special interest
- Kew at home
- garden plants
- high up