Kew Gardens access guide - walks and tours
Find out about our programme of walks and tours available to visitors with additional needs, such as limited mobility, sight loss, learning disability and deafness.
Kew’s land train, the Kew Explorer, is an easy way to make the most of your day and Kew's 326 acres. The main boarding point is close to Victoria Plaza and the Palm House. Your driver gives an entertaining and informative commentary that includes an overview of Kew's history, iconic buildings, plants and conservation work.
The vehicle stops at seven points along its route, including the Temperate House, the Palm House and Kew Palace. There is space for one fixed wheel wheelchair in the last carriage and also ample room to store folding wheelchairs. Buy your ticket at any of the gates or from the Explorer drivers at any of the stops.
- Ticket price - £4 adult, £1 child (16 and under)
- Fantastic winter offer from 1 November 2012 to 28 February 2013 - £2 adult, £1 child
- Tickets last throughout the day of purchase
- Further information and booking - +44 (0)20 8332 5617
We offer bus and walking tours designed for visitors with additional needs such as limited mobility, sight loss, learning disability and deafness.
Discovery bus tours
Our specially adapted mobility bus with volunteer guide and driver is used for tours lasting around an hour. The tour takes in all the major sights at Kew Gardens and is designed for groups of up to 12 people seated plus one fixed wheel wheelchair space.
The Discovery bus tour provides good visibility and protection from the elements. When the opportunity arises, the vehicle stops, giving passengers time to enjoy the surroundings in the comfort and safety of the bus. Depending on the interests of the group, passengers may choose to get off the bus to visit one of the glasshouses en-route or stop at one of our catering outlets for lunch or tea.
- Days and time - Discovery bus tours are usually available on Tuesday and Thursday, morning and afternoon, subject to driver and guide availability.
- Price - tours must be booked in advance and cost £30 per group.
- Tour information - There will be a Kew Driver as well as a Discovery Guide providing an on board commentary. Please ensure there are at least 2 carers per group.
To book a Discovery bus tour call:
- +44 (0)20 8332 5643
Discovery walking tours
Our Discovery programme also offers guided walking tours for groups and individuals with sensory and mobility difficulties. Our guides are trained to lead groups of visitors with visual impairment and some use British Sign Language.
- Price - tours must be booked in advance and cost £5 per guide.
- Group size - tours are designed for groups of up to five people, including carers. If your group is larger than five we will need to assign additional guides.
To book a Discovery walking tour:
- Call +44 (0)20 8332 5643, or
- Download and complete the Discovery walking tour booking form (pdf) and return it to email@example.com
Visit Kew Gardens
- Ticket information and prices. Please note: Registered blind/partially sighted visitors can enter for free as can essential carers. Please notify the admissions staff when you buy your ticket.
- Coming up at Kew Gardens
- More garden attractions
- Opening times
- Become a Friend of Kew
- FREE - download our official mobile app
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew