Key Stage 2 - Number, shape, colour and space activity tour
In this session, students embark on a learning journey to explore the relationship between maths and plants in nature.
Students explore maths and design in the Number, shape, colour and space activity tour.
Students learn to estimate and measure trees in their growing environment. They sort leaves, flowers and seeds based on size and colour and create pieces of ephemeral art.
- Length: 45 minutes
- Group size: 15 students
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 8 students
School visits at Kew Gardens support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools. We aim to give students unique opportunities for learning outside the classroom. The learning outcomes shown apply to the curriculum as it is at this time.
This session offers students the opportunity to learn to:
- count and sort natural objects based on colour, shape, size or other physical properties
- demonstrate that the same group of objects may be sorted in different ways
- create a piece of art using natural materials
- use estimation skills in counting
These sessions are designed to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
Maths - number, geometry
Science - working scientifically, plants
Art and Design
English - spoken language