Key Stage 2 - Marianne North, Victorian plant hunter and artist activity tour and workshop
In this 90 minute session, primary school students will learn about the life and travels of Marianne North, a Victorian naturalist and prolific botanical artist.
Marianne North Gallery after restoration
During their exploration of the Marianne North Gallery, the students will get a feel of what life would have been like for a female world traveller in Victorian times. They will get an opportunity to take a closer look at some of Marianne North’s paintings of plants found on her many trips to countries around the world. The activity will also include a visit to one of our glasshouses to see living examples of some of the plants painted by Marianne North.
- Length: 90 minutes
- Group size: 15 students.
- Important: Max 60 students per day only
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 8 students.
- Programme cost: Activity tour and workshop - £50 per group of 15 students
- Administration fee: £80
School visits at Kew Gardens support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school environment. We endeavour to ensure that the learning outcomes detailed, reflect the current school curriculum.
This activity is specifically designed to have a cross-curricular focus incorporating a number of curriculum areas such as:
- History - knowledge and understanding of events, people and changes in the past, knowledge of Victorian Britain
- English - integrating all three elements: 'speaking and listening', 'reading' and 'writing'
- Science - Life processes and living things
- Geography – investigating a variety of people, places and environments around the world.
- Art and design - increasing critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art, craft and design in different times and cultures.
- Citizenship – developing a sense of social justice and moral responsibility
- PSHE - learning about the wider world and the interdependence of communities within it.