Walking tours - advanced booking for groups
Pre-book a guided walking tour with our volunteer guides.
Book a guided tour for your group visit
If you are a group of adults, you may wish to pre-book a guided walking tour with one or more of our Volunteer Guides.
- Price - £50 per guide (excluding Garden entry)*
- Capacity - each guide can take up to 15 people (groups of more than 15 must book more than one guide)
- Timing - tours take approximately one hour and may be booked from 10am every day throughout the year (except 24 and 25 December)
* As no refunds can be given, please ensure that your group can come before booking a tour.
Booking a guided tour
You will need to download, complete and return the Group Walking Tour booking form by the tenth day of the month prior to your visit. For example, if you wish to book a tour in July, you will need to return the form by 10 June. Tours booked after this time depend upon guide availability.
If you are uncertain of the final numbers in your party, estimate the number of people requiring a tour as well as the number of guides required and either email your form to email@example.com or post it to:
Museum No. 1
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Surrey TW9 3AB
Tel: 020 8332 5604
Fax: 020 8332 5640
Admission to the Gardens
Garden admission is not included in the cost of the guided tour and will need to be paid separately:
- Groups of ten or more can apply for discounted group entry through Group bookings.
- Groups of fewer than ten will need to pay at the gate on arrival.
- Groups of students in full-time education may be eligible for reduced admission but will need to apply via the school visits booking system.
- Volunteer Guides will give tours to groups of students aged 18+.
- Disabled Groups must apply in writing to the Travel Trade office for free admission. Call the number above to find out more.
- Major Travel Trade clients are invoiced by Kew after the visit.
Choosing your tour
You may choose a general tour which takes in the highlights of the season, explores the exotic plants in the glasshouses and explains the history and work of Kew, or you may prefer Festival tours or themed tours on a specialist topic.
Tours are normally given in English although we can offer general tours in the following languages: French, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, British Sign Language (at a basic level). Providing tours in foreign languages and specific topics depends upon the availability of guides who either speak that language or specialise in the particular theme requested. If we are unable to provide a guide who speaks your language you will need to bring an interpreter (or a number of interpreters, depending upon the size of your group).
Start and end points
Booked tours for groups normally start from the Guides Desk at Victoria Plaza. Other meeting points can be arranged, for example pick-up from one of our restaurants or another Gate.
Please indicate on the form if you have a particular location where you would like the tour to finish (for example, somewhere for lunch or tea). If not, please leave the box blank and we will leave this to the discretion of the guide.
Parking is permitted free of charge on Kew Road after 10am. Please note that traffic in West London can be congested. Allow ample time for your journey to ensure that your group arrives promptly at the designated starting point.
You will be sent a formal confirmation with the name(s) of the guide(s) towards the end of the month prior to your tour. You will need to bring this with you to present to the guide(s).
Late arrival and cancellation
Guides are requested to wait up to 30 minutes for their groups, although they are not obliged to do so. If your group is running late, please call the Kew Information Desk on 020 8332 5697 and ask them to inform the guide(s). If your group arrives late and the guide has gone, we cannot refund the cost of the tour(s). Nor can we offer refunds for tour cancellations once the booking has been processed.