Evolution House (closed until 2018)
The Evolution House is now closed as part of the Temperate House restoration project. This work will allow us to remove, relocate and propagate important plant collections prior to the construction works.
About the Temperate House precinct project
As part of the Temperate House precinct project the Evolution House is now closed for the duration of the project to allow us to remove, relocate or propagate important plant collections prior to the construction works.
The Temperate House is the largest surviving Victorian glasshouse structure in the world, originally opened in 1863. It has undergone a number of major refurbishments over the years, the last one commencing 35 years ago.
The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) has given the green light to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew to develop plans to restore the Temperate House and its surrounding landscape – development funding of £890,900 was awarded to help progress plans for the £34m project.
The restoration creates the opportunity for us to preserve and enhance the rare botanical collection housed inside, and also to transform our public engagement programme.