Cherry Walk runs from the Rose Garden behind the Palm House to King William's Temple, and then on to the Temperate House.
History of Cherry Walk
A collection of Japanese cherries was initially planted between the Palm House and King William’s Temple in 1909. The walk was then extended to the Temperate House in 1935.
Storms in 1987 and 1990 took their toll on the collection, so the path was replanted between 1993 and 1996, with funding from Sakura Bank of Japan.
Things to look out for
At the Palm House end, the path passes through an informal collection of Japanese cherries, including the pink-blossomed Prunus ‘Kanzan’ and the great white cherry (Prunus ‘Taihaku’).
From King William’s Temple, Cherry Walk becomes a formal avenue of 15 pairs of Prunus ‘Asano’. When these bloom in spring, their pink blossoms stand out against the white frame of the Temperate House.