Cedar Vista is the longest of seven avenues radiating from the Pagoda.
A view of Cedar Vista from the Pagoda.
Cedar Vista, composed of a mixture of Atlantic and deodara cedars, was planted in 1871. It runs from the Pagoda, in the southeastern corner of the garden, towards the River Thames and the meadows of Syon House.
Constant pruning of the trees over the years led to them becoming mutilated, so in 1923-24 director Sir Arthur William Hill felled many and widened the vista by some 12 metres. Today, irregularly spaced trees give Cedar Vista the character of an ‘informal avenue’.
Things to look out for
Cedar Vista passes through the Woodland Glades, which are planted with collections of trees and shrubs from Kew expeditions. The vista also skirts the Redwood Grove, which is planted with redwood trees from California, and the Waterlily Pond, which has colourful displays of irises and waterlilies during the summer months.
Kew’s resident muster of peacocks are often seen strutting around the area.