Membership terms and conditions
1. These are the terms and conditions applicable to Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew ('Terms'). In these Terms, 'you/r' or 'the Friend' refers to the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (or applicant for such status), and 'we' and 'us' refers to The Foundation and Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew or the Royal BotanicGardens, Kew (together, 'Kew').
Benefits of being a Friend
2. As a Friend you are entitled, upon presentation of a valid membership card, to free entry to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and Wakehurst Place during normal opening hours and subject to the usual conditions of entry. Friends must adhere to the Garden Regulations.
3. Additional benefits provided to the Friend are set out in the Friends Handbook.
4. Being a Friend does not entitle you to free entry at ticketed events, nor does it guarantee the availability of tickets to any such events.
5. With the exception of entitlement to free entry to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and Wakehurst Place in accordance with paragraph 2 above, we reserve the right to change benefits without prior notice for any reason.
6. Friends membership is valid for twelve consecutive months. If you are unable to use your membership at any stage during this time refunds or extensions cannot be offered in any circumstances.
Conditions of refunds
7. If you change your mind about joining, you may request a refund if you notify the Friends Office in writing (the contact details of which are detailed in paragraph 20) and return all membership materials (including your membership card(s) and any complimentary passes) within fourteen days of receiving your membership pack. No refunds will be issued after this time.
Friends Membership application process
8. Memberships (new and renewing) may take up to 28 days from receipt to process and membership materials will be posted out to you by second class post. Once processed and posted, we will assume that you have received these membership materials. You will need to contact the Friends Office if you have not received them within 42 days of your application. We will not be able to grant a refund or extension if you fail to inform us of non-receipt before this time.
9. To validate your membership card, it must be signed upon receipt.
10. Membership cards and any associated Friends benefits are non-transferable and can only be used by the named member. Proof of identity may be requested on presentation of your membership card at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew or Wakehurst Place.
11. Friends who are unable to show a valid membership card on entry may be required to pay entrance fees before they are admitted, which are non-refundable.
12. Lost or stolen membership cards will be replaced free of charge in the first instance. Subsequent requests for a replacement card will each carry a £10 administration charge (unless, in the event of theft, a police report is provided). In all cases, the minimum time taken for replacement cards to be dispatched is 2 working days.
Changes in Friends membership category
13. If, during the course of your current membership subscription, you wish to change from an Individual to a Joint membership or vice-versa, either the difference in price between the two categories or a payment of £10 (whichever is the greater) will be payable.
Friends Membership renewals**
14. We will contact you approximately one month before your Friends membership is due for renewal, detailing the expiry date of your current membership and any further actions you may need to take in order to continue your subscription.
15. If your Friends membership subscriptions are paid by Direct Debit, we will automatically renew your membership after 12 months and collect the monies for the coming subscription period unless you notify us that you do not wish to renew your membership by the date stated in your renewal letter.
16. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to refuse entry and/or membership and/or to revoke membership without refund if the member behaves in a threatening or abusive manner towards any person at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew or Wakehurst Place, or damages or threatens to damage any of the collections or property of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew or Wakehurst Place, or acts in a manner which in Kew’s sole opinion brings Kew into disrepute.
17. We reserve the right to revoke your Friends membership at any time, without financial compensation, if you commit any breach of these Terms.
18. We reserve the right to change these Terms at any time.
19. The validity, construction and performance of these Terms shall be governed by English law and we and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
20. The Friends Office is open on weekdays from 9.30am - 5pm and the team can be reached by telephone, email or letter. Details are shown below. Unless a prearranged appointment has been made, members are not able to visit the Friends Office.
Address: Kew Foundation, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB
Tel: 020 8332 3200
The Foundation and Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew is a charity registered in England and Wales number 803428.
* In the case of Life memberships - no refunds will be given to members who are unable to use their membership at any stage of their subscription.
** Not applicable to Life members.