Volunteering at Kew Gardens - Schools & Families
Kew would like to invite you to volunteer and join our Schools and Families programme. Share your passion and help Kew inspire young people with the power of plants.
Palm House Explainers inspire children through 'hands on' activities in Kew's great glasshouse.
There are a variety of ways to get involved with Kew’s Schools & Families programme. If you enjoy working with children, or like working in the fields of education and play, this could be the volunteering opportunity for you.
Kew's Schools programme caters for a wide range of educational groups attracting thousands of children and young people each week. Many participate in our activity tours and workshops provided by a specialist team of Kew Teachers.
Kew also attracts thousands of children who visit with their families. Children aged three to nine can explore a giant world of plants and find out about how they interact with animals in our botanically-themed interactive play zone, Climbers and Creepers. We also run a range of special activities and events across the gardens at weekends and during the school holidays.
Examples of the types of volunteering roles available and the kind of activities you can get involved in are:
- Costumed Explainers - show your theatrical side by dressing up in Victorian dress and encouraging children and families to engage with the paintings within our beautifully restored Marianne North Gallery. Use Victorian style artefacts from Marianne's 'travelling trunk' to help children understand her life as a Victorian travelling painter.
- Family Learning Volunteers - get hands on in the preparation and delivery of enjoyable craft, horticultural activities and games for Kew's younger visitors and their families. Help with special festivals and events at Kew.
- Gate Greeters - welcome and help to orientate school groups arriving at Kew. Help to manage visitor flow, suggest places to visit, point out matters of interest and provide practical advice for groups.
- Palm House Explainers - lead activities within one of Kew's great glasshouses, engaging and involving children in the various exhibits. Use artefacts, samples and props to encourage curiosity and allow children to contribute towards their experiences.
- Activity Tour and Workshop Assistants - help Kew teachers with activity tours and workshops in the Gardens. Set up and clear away workshops, attend activity sessions and provide support to Kew Teachers and children as required.
Commitment and skills
Volunteer hours at Kew are flexible, including school term time, weekends and school holidays. We encourage our volunteers to commit to around 24 sessions per year.The roles we offer may suit parents with children at school or people looking for skills development in education, playwork, child care or early years development.
Training is provided, but beneficial skills and experience include:
- working with children in schools or play centres
- working in public-facing environments such as front of house or visitor services at museums or public attractions
- applicants should have good communication and team working skills and enjoy being with children
Looking after our visitors
Kew is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers interacting with these groups to share this commitment.
All volunteering placements that work with these groups are subject to a satisfactory enhanced Criminal Record Bureau and reference checks.
How to apply
We are not currently recruiting. However, if you would like to register your interest, please complete an application form and return to us with your C.V. - preferably via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep your application on hold until our next round of recruitment.
If you would prefer to print and fill in your application form by hand, please download the alternative application form, and return with your C.V. to Schools and Families Volunteers, Museum No.1, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3AB
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Kew Gardens.