Millennium Seed Bank Data Resources
Data needs to be gathered throughout the seed conservation process; it is vital that this data is accurately compiled and efficiently managed to achieve greatest impact.
Frequently we use data dictionaries or catalogues, including species lists, gazetteers, and habitat classifications. Procedures for calculating seed numbers or for scoring germination tests can also be listed in catalogues and published for wider reference. These are all elements of data standards which ensure the accuracy, consistency and wider relevance of a data set.
The links below illustrate some of the current initiatives to capture, compile and share data. This page is maintained for the benefit of MSB partners.
Please contact us with any updates, errors or omissions. Thankyou.
Field data is entered into a paper form during fieldwork in Chile
MSBP Seed Conservation Standards
- Proposed Seed Conservation Standards for "MSB Partnership Collections"
- Seed Information Database
- GIS and Conservation for Madagasacar
- TDWG World Geographical Scheme for Recording Plant Distributions
- Economic Botany Data Collection Standard
- RBG Kew Data and Publications index
- Cactus Seed Biology Database on CD-ROM - email MSBSci@kew.org for further information
- TROPICOS Missouri Botanical Garden
- Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN)
- BRAHMS online
- World Information Network on Biodiversity (Remib)
- European Native Seed Information Network ENSCONET Database
- Australian Seed Conservation and Research AUSCAR (pending)
- Seeds of Success Programme (USA) Database
- Taxonomic Databases Working Group (TDWG)
- Darwin Core standards
- Mapping Darwin Core to ABCD (Access to Biological Collections Data)
Selection of Datasets available from Kew
Other biodiversity data portals
Relevant data exchange standards
Seed Bank Data Exchange Standard
Background Information about data management & exchange
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew