GIS Unit projects - species conservation
Find out more about our projects in the area of plant species conservation.
Red Lists are widely used to indicate species at risk of extinction. Kew's GIS Unit has pioneered the development of tools that facilitate the process of Red Listing by integrating specimen collection and powerful GIS analysis.
One in five of the world's plant species is threatened with extinction
The IUCN Sampled Red List Index (SRLI) for Plants, is a major baseline for plant conservation and is the first time that the true extent of the threat to the world’s estimated 380,000 plant species is known. This global analysis of extinction risk for the world's plants, conducted by Kew together with the Natural History Museum, London and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), has revealed that the world’s plants are as threatened as mammals, with one in five of the world’s plant species threatened with extinction.
GeoCAT - Geospatial Conservation Assessment Tool
This tool is designed to produce rapid species level conservation assessments based on IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria (IUCN 2001). Through an easy to use interface with a familiar Google Map underlay you can upload primary occurrence data for a species and at the click of a button calculate values relating to the geographic range of a species.
The Conservation Assessment Tracking System
Kew performs around 2,000 conservation assessments every year.The Conservation Assessment Tracking System (CATS) is developed to streamline the process of gathering, managing and disseminating this data to get maximum impact for conservation. CATS - more about this project
More GIS related projects at Kew
Find out more with Kew's Science Directory.
- Biogeography and Conservation of Myrtaceae
- Conservation Checklist of the Trees of Uganda
- Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered (EDGE) Plants
- IUCN Red List Reassessment of Conifers
- Phylogenetic Diversity of the Malagasy Legumes: New Insights for the Conservation of the Malagasy Flora
- Red Data Book & Teachers' Guide, Cameroon
- Strengthening capacity for Species Action Planning in Montserrat
- Guinea (Conakry): Developing botanical capacity, a National Herbarium and Red Data book
- The Plants of Mefou Proposed National Park, Yaoundé, Cameroon: A Conservation Checklist
- Liberia GIS: National Plant Conservation Prioritisation
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew