Why are the seeds of this species difficult? The seeds may have physical dormancy, which can be overcome by removing the seed covering structures to allow water uptake and encourage germination.
Grewia flava (Image: E. Vaes, RBG Kew)
This species has Orthodox seeds - dry to 15-20% eRH and store at -20ºC, or as cool as possible.
The seeds of this species may be Physically Dormant (based on other species in the same genus).
Remove the seed covering structures before germination to overcome dormancy. Germinate on agar, germination paper or sand at 30 or 35°C.
Section of Grewia flava fruit
(Image: E. Vaes, RBG Kew)
Accepted name: Grewia flava DC.
Synonyms: Grewia cana Sond., Grewia hermannioides Harv.
References and Links
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (1994). Genebank Standards. FAO/IPGRI, Rome, Italy.
- AFPD (African Flowering Plants Database) - Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland, and South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, RSA: Grewia flava.
- PROTAbase (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa) - Wageningen, Netherlands: Grewia flava.
- SID (Seed Information Database) - Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK: Grewia flava.
- Tropicos - Missouri Botanical Garden, USA: Grewia flava.