Flora Zambesiaca: Leguminosae
Tribe Indigofereae (180 spp.) – the final volume of Leguminosae for Flora Zambesiaca.
The purpose of this project is to complete Flora Zambesiaca (FZ): Leguminosae (volume 3, parts 1 – 7; c. 1,373 spp.) by 2011/12 when the final papilionoid tribe, Indigofereae, will be published in volume 3, part 4.
After publication in 1970 of the first legume part, volume 3 (1): Mimosoideae (121 spp.), there was a large gap until 2000 when the second part, 3 (6): Papilionoideae, tribes Desmodieae, Psoraleeae and Aeschynomeneae (152 spp.), was published. Two further parts were published during the 2001 – 2005 period, 3 (5): Papilionoideae, tribe Phaseoleae in 2001 (229 spp.) and 3 (7): Papilionoideae, tribes Loteae, Galegeae, Vicieae, Cicereae, Trifolieae, Podalyrieae, Crotalarieae and Genisteae in 2003 (324 spp.). Volumes 3(2): Caesalpinioideae (157 spp.) and 3(3): Papilionoideae, tribes Swartzieae, Sophoreae, Dalbergieae, Abreae, Millettieae and Robinieae (210 spp.) were published in 2007. The final volume 3 (4), Papilionoideae, tribe Indigofereae (180 spp.), has been completed, submitted and final editing was finished in October 2011. Publication is planned for end of 2011/early 2012.
Key publications 2006-2011
- Timberlake, J.R., Golding, J.S. & Smith, P. (2006). A preliminary analysis of endemic and threatened plants of the Flora Zambesiaca area. In S.A. Ghazanfar & H.J. Beentje (eds) Taxonomy and ecology of African plants, their conservation and sustainable use. Proceedings of the 17th AETFAT Congress, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. 749-760.
- Soares, M, Abreua, J., Nunesa, H., Silveira, P., Schrire, B. & Figueiredo, E. (2007). The Leguminosae of Angola: diversity and endemism. Systematics and Geography of Plants 77: 141–212.
- Brummitt, R.K., Chikuni, A.C., Lock, J.M. & Polhill, R.M. (2007). In J.R. Timberlake, G.V. Pope, R.M. Polhill, & E.S. Martins (eds). Flora Zambesiaca 3(2) 1–218. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Brummitt, R.K., Harder, D.K., Lewis G.P., Lock, J.M., Polhill, R.M. & Verdcourt, B. (2007). In J.R. Timberlake, R.M. Polhill, G.V. Pope & E.S. Martins (eds). Flora Zambesiaca 3(3) 1–258. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Figueiredo, E., Soares, M., Grobler, A. & Schrire, B. (2008). Fabaceae. In E. Figueiredo & G.F. Smith (eds.) Plants of Angola. Strelitzia 22: 75–101.
Project Leader: Schrire, Brian D.
Herbarium, Library, Arts & Archives
Dick Brummitt (now retired), Gwilym Lewis, Mike Lock (now retired), Barbara Mackinder, Roger Polhill (now retired), Brian Schrire, Jonathan Timberlake, Bernard Verdcourt (now retired)
Project Partners and Collaborators
J. Seyani, National Herbarium, Zomba
M.A. Diniz, National Herbarium, Lisbon
National Herbarium, Lisbon