Seed Conservation Department
Foreign Language(s):German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Afrikaans, Mandarin (basic)
Qualifications & Appointments
Dipl.-Biol. (MSc equivalent), Univ. Kaiserslautern, 1990
Dr. rer. nat. (PhD equivalent), Univ. Kaiserslautern, 1996.
Secretary, Cactus & Succulent Specialist Group, IUCN-SSC
Secretary, International Organization for Succulent Plant Study (1999-2004).
Being the institute’s expert on seed anatomy and morphology; providing scientific expertise and leadership in seed and fruit morphology and anatomy for SCD and the MSB Partnership; providing leadership and focus for these disciplines within RBG Kew; using seed and fruit anatomy and morphology in a broader botanical and conservation context to engage and inspire a wide audience of specialists and non-specialists, in UK and worldwide, through lectures, presentations and publications.
Both these elements seek to advance and promote both seed biology, and the MSBP’s and RBG Kew’s broader science and conservation goals.
- A Dictionary of Fruit and Seed Morphological Terms
- Authentication and Chemical Fingerprinting of Economically Important Species
- Cactus Seed Biology Database
- Role of 'Underdeveloped' Embryos in Germination / Dormancy Problems
- Is Seed Sensitivity to Desiccation a Matter of Size?
- Survival of Legume Seeds
- Morphological Innovations in Poales
- Seed Research and Technical Cooperation with Brazil
- Maximising Seed Quality: Maturity and Post-harvest Studies
- Conservation of native plant species from Sardinia (Italy)
- Seed Information Database (SID)
Selected Recent Publications
MATTANA, E, PRITCHARD, H, PORCEDDU, M, STUPPY, W, BACCHETTA, G 2011: Interchangeable effects of GA3 and temperature on embryo growth, seed germination and epicotyl emergence in Ribes multiflorum ssp. sandalioticum (Grossulariaceae). Plant Biology [doi:10.1111/j.1438-8677.2011.00476.x]
RONSE DE CRAENE, LP & STUPPY, W 2010. Floral development and anatomy of Aextoxicon punctatum (Aextoxicaceae-Berberidopsidales): an enigmatic tree at the base of core eudicots. International Journal of Plant Sciences 17(1): 244-257.
STUPPY, W & KESSELER, R & HARLEY, M 2009: The Bizarre and Incredible World of Plants. Papadakis Publisher, London [translated into German, French and Chinese].
KESSELER, R & STUPPY, W 2009: Seeds - Time Capsules of Life, 2nd edition. Papadakis Publisher, London in collaboration with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew [currently translated into Japanese].
STUPPY, W & KESSELER, R 2008: Fruit - Edible, Inedible, Incredible. Papadakis Publisher, London in collaboration with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew [translated into German, currently translated into Japanese].
ALI, NS, PROBERT, RJ, HAY, FR, DAVIES, H & STUPPY, W 2007: Post-dispersal embryo growth and acquisition of desiccation tolerance in Anemone nemorosa L. seeds. Seed Science Research 17(3): 155-165.
STUPPY, W 2007: Life below Zero. In: Aardse, H & van Baalen, A (eds.): Findings on Ice. Lars Muller Publishers, The Netherlands.
KESSELER, R & STUPPY, W 2006: Seeds - Time Capsules of Life. Papadakis Publisher, London in collaboration with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew [translated into German].
STUPPY, W & DICKIE, JB 2006: Embryo. Endosperm. Haustorium. Perisperm. Rumination. Seedcoats – dispersal aids. Seedcoats – functions. Seedcoats – structure. Structure of seeds – identification characters. In Black, M, Bewley, JD & Halmer, P (eds.) The Encyclopedia of Seeds: Science, Technology and Uses. Wallingford: CABI. pp. 217-221, 222-223, 322, 488, 590, 606-609, 609-610, 610-614, 682-684, 684-687.
Selected Earlier Publications
Rudall, P.J., Stuppy, W., Cunniff, J., Kellogg, E.A., & Briggs, B. (2005). Evolution of reproductive structures in grasses (Poaceae) inferred by sister-group comparison with their putative closest living relatives, Ecdeiocoleaceae. American Journal of Botany 92: 1432-1443.
Flynn, S., Turner, R.M., & Stuppy, W.S. (2004.) Seed Information Database, release 6.0, October 2004.
Stuppy, W.H., Maisano, J.A., Colbert, M.W., Rudall, P.J., & Rowe, T.B. (2003). Three-dimensional analysis of plant structure using high-resolution X-ray computed tomography. Trends in Plant Science 8: 2-6.
Taylor, N.P., Stuppy, W. & Barthlott, W. (2002). Realignment and revision of the Opuntioideae of Eastern Brazil. Succulent Plant Research 6: 99-132.
Stuppy, W. (2002). Seed characters and generic classification of Opuntioideae. Succulent Plant Research 6: 25-58.
- Stuppy, W., Welzen, P.C. Van, Klinratana, P. & Posa, M.C.T. (1999). A revision of the genera Aleurites J. R. Forst. & G. Forst., Reutealis Airy Shaw and Vernicia Lour. (Euphorbiaceae). Blumea 44: 73–98.
- Welzen, P.C. Van & Stuppy, W. (1999). Phylogenetic considerations of Euphorbiaceae tribe Aleuritideae. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 86: 894–903.
- Stuppy, W. & Nagl, W. (1992). Regeneration and propagation of Ariocarpus retusus Scheidw. (Cactaceae) via somatic embryogenesis. Bradleya 10: 85–88.
- Stuppy, W. & Taylor, N.P. (1989). A new variety of Ariocarpus fissuratus. Bradleya 7: 84–88.