Conventions and Policy
Foreign Language(s):French (basic), Spanish (basic)
Qualifications & Appointments
BSc (Hons), Univ. College Galway, Ireland, 1984.
Provide scientific advice to Defra and the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, and the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations.
Advise the UK CITES Management Authority ( AHVLA & Defra) on licensing and policy issues. Provide advice to UK Border Agency on CITES and co-ordinate reception of seizure material as required. Provide training and advice on CITES at Kew to ensure staff awareness of Kew’s legal requirements under CITES and the European Union Wildlife Trade Regulations in relation to collections, fieldwork and research. Undertake the research required to support this role.
Selected Recent Publications
Sieder, A., Rainer, H., Kiehn, M. (compilers) (2009). CITES Orchid Checklist Volume 5. Bell, A., Brodie, C. & Simpson, R. (eds). Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Simpson, R.B. (1994). A preliminary bibliography of CITES listed plants. In proceeding of the 5th CITES Plants Committee Meeting, Mexico. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 35-43.
- Simpson, R. (1994). Carnivorous Plant Specialist Group. Species 23: 78-79.
- Simpson, R.B. (1994). Pitchers in Trade. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 61 pp.
- Simpson, R. (ed) (1995). Carnivorous Plant Specialist Group News. Newsletter of the IUCN SSC Carnivorous Plant Specialist Group 1 (2): 1-4.
- Simpson, R.B. (1995). Nepenthes and Conservation. Curtis’s Botanical Magazine 12 (2): 111-118.