Honorary Research Associate
Herbarium, Library, Art & Archives
Qualifications & Appointments
BSc, Univ. Ceylon, 1958
DIC, Imperial College of Science and Technology, 1961
PhD, Univ. London, 1964.
Research into systematics, micromorphology and distribution of anamorphic fungi, especially coelomycetes.
Research is focused on systematics of the coelomycetes (mostly anamorphic Ascomycota), and has three main aspects: revisionary studies of genera on a world-wide basis leading to monographs; synthesis of acquired data on conidial nuclei of selected genera to provide a more natural classification where separation of taxa has hitherto been based on gross morphology; studies of coelomycetes associated with specific host plants. In addition, there is an important advisory and support role to the Section in identification and curation of anamorphic fungi.
Selected Recent Publications
- Punithalingam, E. & Spooner, B.M. (2002). New taxa new records of coelomycetes for the U.K. Kew Bulletin 57:533-563.
- Fathei, J., Bridge, P.D. & Punithalingam, E. (2003). Molecular relatedness within the ‘Ascochyta pinodes-complex’. Mycopathologia 156: 317-327.
- Punithalingam, E. (2003). Nuclei, micronuclei and appendages in tri- and tetraradiate conidia of Cornutispora and four other coelomycete genera. Mycological Research 107(8): 917-948.
- Padhye, A.A., Karpati, A., Rosenthal, S.A. & Punithalingam, E. (2004). Subcutaneous phaeohyphomycotic abscess caused by Pleurophomopsis lignicola. MedicalMycology 42:129-134.
- Punithalingam, E. & Spooner, B.M. (2005). New taxa and new records from Agapanthus. Kew Bulletin 60:149-158.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Punithalingam, E. (1979). Graminicolous Ascochyta species. Mycological Papers 142: 1 - 214.
- Punithalingam, E. (1988) Ascochyta II. Species on Monocotyledons (excluding Grasses), Cryptogams and Gymnosperms. Mycological Papers 159: 1 - 235.
- Punithalingam, E. (1989). Techniques for staining fungal nuclei and appendages. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 99:19-32.
- Punithalingam, E. (1989). The significance of nucleate conidial appendages in Coelomycetes. Studies in Mycology 31: 113-121.
- Punithalingam, E. (1992). The nuclei and conidial appendages in Monochaetiellopsis species (coelomycetes). Nova Hedwigia 54:255-267.