Johnson, Nick P.
Team Leader: Temperate and Carnivorous Plant Unit, Tropical Nursery, Great Glasshouses and Training
Conservation, Living Collections and Estates
Horticulture, Kew Gardens
Qualifications & Appointments
RHS Certificate in Horticulture
Provide support and facilities to grow UKOT plants and determine best practice for their cultivation.
Care and propagation of threatened island flora, including that from United Kingdom's Overseas Territories, in particular Trochetiopsis ebenus, Commidendrum rugosum, Medusagyne oppositifolia, Sophora toromiro, Dendroseris littoralis, Ramosmania rodriguesii, Cylindrocline laurencei, Acacia anagadensis and Hibiscus fragilis.
Results of experiments in germination tests and general cultivation techniques made available to UKOT team and in situ conservation groups.
- Congo (Brazzaville): Surveys and Capacity Building
- Darwin Initiative Assessment of the Coastal Biodiversity of Anegada, British Virgin Islands - Project completed (2003-06)
- Developing Ex Situ Conservation Collections of UK Overseas Territories Plant Species In-Territory and at Kew
- In Ivan's Wake: a Darwin Initiative Biodiversity Action Plan for the Cayman Islands - Project completed (2005-08)
- Living Collection Virtual Herbarium
- Monograph of Nepenthaceae
- Enabling the People of Montserrat to Conserve the Centre Hills - Project completed (2006-09)
- Increasing Local Capacity to Conserve St Helena's Threatened Native Biodiversity
- Supporting Critical Species Recovery and Horticultural Needs on St Helena - Project completed (2008-10)
- Establishment of Montserrat Botanic Garden
- Strengthening capacity for Species Action Planning in Montserrat