Jackson, Andrew D.
Head of Wakehurst Place
Qualifications & Appointments
Dip. Horticulture, Kew (Hons), 1986
MSc, Univ. Birmingham, 1988.
Bryophyte, Temperate Trees and Reintroduction Specialist Groups IUCN-SSC
Associate Board Member, European Committee for Conservation of Bryophytes
UK Biodiversity Research Advisory Group.
Integrated species and habitat conservation programmes.
Conservation of UK biodiversity with a focus on the in situ management of fauna and flora on the Wakehurst Place estate. Acting on behalf of Kew as lead partner for the delivery of the UK Biodiversity Action Plan for the bryophytes Orthodontium gracile and Pallavicinia lyellii. Conservation of temperate trees through species orientated research. Conservation of sandstone ecosystems in Europe. Management of staff performing diverse roles at Wakehurst Place and of the estate itself.
Selected Recent Publications
- Anon. (2004). Plant Diversity Challenge: UK’s response to the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation. Peterborough: JNCC.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Jackson, A. (1995). The Plymouth Pear - the recovery programme for one of Britain’s rarest trees. British Wildlife 6(5): 273-278.
- Jackson, A. (1996). Species Recovery - combining political, management and practical skills to conserve rare species. In Temperate Trees Under Threat. Symposium of the International Dendrological Society. 29th September to 2nd October 1994. Bonn, Germany.
- Jackson, A. and Flanagan, M. (eds) (1996). Conservation Status of Sorbus in the UK. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 73 pp.
- Jackson, A., Rich, T. (1997). Lower plant communities of the Wealden sandrocks at Wakehurst and Chiddinglye Woods SSSI, SE England. In Jackson, A. and Flanagan, M. (eds) Conservation of Cryptogams in the Weald. Proceedings of a Workshop held at Wakehurst Place 2nd May 1996. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 65 pp.
- Jackson, A., Erry. B., Culham, A. (1997). Genetic aspects of the species recovery programme for the Plymouth pear (Pyrus cordata Desv.). In Tew, T.E., Crawford, T.J., Spencer, J.W., Stevens, D.P., Usher M.B. and Warren, J. (eds) The role of genetics in conserving small populations. Proceedings of a British Ecological Society Symposium 18th-19th September 1995, York. Peterborough: JNCC.