Hunt, David R. (Retired)
Honorary Research Fellow
Honorary Research Associate
Foreign Language(s):German, Spanish.
Qualifications & Appointments
BA (Hons), Univ. Cambridge, 1959
MA, Univ. Cambridge, 1963
PhD, Univ. Reading, 1983.
Editor, Curtis's Botanical Magazine (1968–1982)
Cactus & Succulent and Global Trees Specialist Groups, IUCN-SSC
Convener/Editor, International Cactaceae Systematics Group
Editor (1992–95), Council & Scientific Committee, International Dendrology Society (1990-2003)
Secretary/Editor, International Organization for Succulent Plant Study (1974–94)
Conifer Nomenclature Committee, Royal Horticultural Society (1964-2005)
Council of Management, Cornwall Gardens Trust (1989–91).
Taxonomy of Cactaceae, Commelinaceae and formerly Coniferae, exploiting and encouraging the interface between professional botanists and knowledgeable amateur enthusiasts.
Basic taxonomy and nomenclature of various groups best understood from well-documented living collections, to provide support for scientific research into, e.g., chromosome evolution and molecular systematics, and for conservation and horticulture. Main focus since 1984 has been on Cactaceae and on international collaboration among professional researchers and amateur students of the family, culminating in the publication of the ‘New Cactus Lexicon' (2006), documenting and illustrating all taxa.
Selected Recent Publications
- Hunt, D. (2001). Commelinaceae. In Stevens, W.D. (ed) Flora de Nicaragua, 1. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. 638-650.
- Hunt, D. (2002). That’s Opuntia, that was! In Hunt, D.R. & Taylor, N.P. (eds) Succulent Plant Research 6. dh books, Milborne Port. 245-249.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Hunt, D. (1967). Cactaceae. In Hutchinson, J. (ed) The Genera of Flowering Plants, 2. Oxford University Press.
- Barthlott, W. & Hunt, D. (1993). Cactaceae. In Kubitzki, K. (ed) The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants 2. Springer Verlag. 161–196.
- Hunt, D. (1993). Commelinaceae. In McVaugh, R. (ed) Flora Novo-Galiciana 13. University of Michigan Herbarium. 130–201.
- Hunt, D. (1999). CITES Cactaceae Checklist. Edition 2. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 315 pp.
- Barthlott, W. & Hunt, D. (2000). Seed-diversity in the Cactaceae subfam. Cactoideae. Succulent Plant Research 5. 173 pp.