Qualifications & Appointments
BSc (Hons), Botany, University of Bristol, 2000.
MSc, Biodiversity and Taxonomy of Plants, Edinburgh University, 2003.
Supporting seed collecting programmes and plant identifcation
Capacity-building of partner country projects in making seed collections, including providing training in species targeting, seed collecting, making vouchers specimens and data handling. Responsible for developing seed conservation in the UK Overseas Territories (UKOTs), as well as co-ordinating a seed-banking and herbarium project in the Middle East. Identifying herbarium vouchers collected for the Millennium Seed Bank Project (MSBP), particularly from Chile, Mexico, southern USA and the UKOTs. Collecting seed of UK native species. Previously Botanical Information Researcher for the MSB Enhancement Project Part 1A, compiling descriptive, distributional and habitat data to aid the targeting of species for the MSBP. Experienced in the use of BRAHMS databases.
- Darwin Initiative Assessment of the Coastal Biodiversity of Anegada, British Virgin Islands - Project completed (2003-06)
- Electronic Field Data Collection
- Ex situ Conservation, Propagation and Re-introduction of Endemic, Endangered and Vulnerable Plant Species from the Arid Lands of Chile
- Ex situ Conservation of Plant Germplasm from Arid and Semi-Arid Zones of Mexico
- Developing Ex Situ Conservation Collections of UK Overseas Territories Plant Species In-Territory and at Kew
- In Ivan's Wake: a Darwin Initiative Biodiversity Action Plan for the Cayman Islands - Project completed (2005-08)
- MSB Seed Banking Worldwide
- Seeds of Success USA: Native Plant Materials for Conservation and Restoration
- MSB Enhancement Project Part 1A: Species Targeting (Project completed 2008)
- Seed Conservation in the UK Overseas Territories
- Falkland Islands Native Plants Project - Project completed (2009-2012)
- Increasing Local Capacity to Conserve St Helena's Threatened Native Biodiversity
- Supporting Critical Species Recovery and Horticultural Needs on St Helena - Project completed (2008-10)
- Falkland Islands Plant Conservation - Project completed (2007-2009)
- Establishment of Montserrat Botanic Garden
- Strengthening capacity for Species Action Planning in Montserrat
- Turks and Caicos Islands Pine Recovery Programme
Selected Recent Publications
Heller, T.M., Pearce, L., Cheek, M., Fortune-Hopkins, H., & Onana, J.-M. (2011). Cucurbitaceae. In Cheek, M., Harvey, Y., & Onana, J.-M. (eds) The Plants of Mefou Proposed National Park, Yaoundé, Cameroon: a Conservation Checklist. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 141-143.
Cheek, M., Oben, B. & Heller, T. (2009). The identity of the west-central African Oricia lecomteana Pierre, with a new combination in Vepris (Rutaceae). Kew Bulletin 64: 509-512.
- Heller, T.M. & Cheek, M. (2004). Rutaceae. In Cheek, M., Pollard, B.J., Darbyshire, I., Onana, J-M., & Wild C. (eds) The Plants of Kupe, Mwanenguba and the Bakossi Mountains, Cameroon: a Conservation Checklist. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 395-397.