Hamilton, Martin A.
UK Overseas Territories Programme Co-ordinator: UKOTs and Conservation Training
Conservation, Living Collections and Estates
Conservation and Conventions
Foreign Language(s):Portuguese (basic)
Qualifications & Appointments
BSc, Agriculture/Horticulture, Western Kentucky University, USA, 2000
Dip. Horticulture, Kew (Hons), 2004
Member, IUCN/SSC South Atlantic Islands Plant Specialist Group
Conservation assessment, inventory and monitoring of island communities focusing on UK Overseas Territories; capacity-building for conservation and horticulture; role of botanic gardens in conservation, development of horticultural protocols and ex situ living collections.
Conservation biology with particular reference to islands – inventory and monitoring of plant communities; effects of management on communities, recovery and restoration; conservation assessment and recovery planning for threatened plant species. Impacts and monitoring of invasive alien species. Herbarium specimen curation and digitisation, production of protocols for specimen digitisation and delivery of training. Development of GIS for plant inventory and monitoring and field data collection protocols and delivery of training. Development of botanic gardens, with particular reference to their conservation role and the development of materials to help build capacity for conservation. Delivery of reports and technical information concerning UKOTs plant species. Implementation of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation (GSPC).
- Darwin Initiative Assessment of the Coastal Biodiversity of Anegada, British Virgin Islands - Project completed (2003-06)
- Electronic Field Data Collection
- Developing Ex Situ Conservation Collections of UK Overseas Territories Plant Species In-Territory and at Kew
- Conservation Genetics of UKOTs Plants
- In Ivan's Wake: a Darwin Initiative Biodiversity Action Plan for the Cayman Islands - Project completed (2005-08)
- UKOTs Online Herbarium
- Seed Conservation in the UK Overseas Territories
- Conservation of Ascension Island’s Endemic Plants - Project completed (2008-2010)
- Falkland Islands Native Plants Project
- Invasive Species in the UK Overseas Territories
- Enabling the People of Montserrat to Conserve the Centre Hills - Project completed (2006-09)
- Increasing Local Capacity to Conserve St Helena's Threatened Native Biodiversity
- Supporting Critical Species Recovery and Horticultural Needs on St Helena - Project completed (2008-10)
- Falkland Islands Plant Conservation - Project completed (2007-2009)
- Establishment of Montserrat Botanic Garden
- Strengthening capacity for Species Action Planning in Montserrat
- Turks and Caicos Islands Pine Recovery Programme
Selected Recent Publications
Clubbe, C. & Hamilton, M., & Corcoran, M. (2010). Using the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation to Guide Conservation Implementation in the UK Overseas Territories. Kew Bulletin 65: 509-517
Hardwick, K.A., Fiedler, P., Lee, L. C., Pavlik, P., Hobbs, R. J., Aronson, J., Bidartondo, M., Black, E., Coates, D., . Daws, M. I., Dixon, K., Elliott, S., Ewing, K., Gann, G., Gibbons, D., Gratzfeld, J., Hamilton, M., Hardman, D., Harris, J., Holmes, P. M., Jones, M., Mabberley, D., Mackenzie, A., Magdalena, C., Marrs, R., Milliken, W., Mills, A., nic Lughadha, E., Ramsay, M., Smith, P., Taylor, N., Trivedi, C., Way, M., Whaley, O., and Hopper, S. D. (2011). The Role of Botanic Gardens in the Science and Practice of Ecological Restoration. Conservation Biology 25:265-275
Corcoran, M., Hamilton, M. & Clubbe, C. (2010). Developing horticulture protocols for threatened plants from the UK Overseas Territories. Proceedings of the 4th Global Botanic Gardens Congress, June 2010.
Clubbe, C., Hamilton, M. & Corcoran, M. (2010). The role of native species nurseries in mitigating threats from invasive species: case studies from UK Overseas Territories. Proceedings of the 4th Global Botanic Gardens Congress, June 2010.
Clubbe, C. & Hamilton, M., & Corcoran, M. (2010). Salvia caymanensis (Lamiaceae). Plant in Peril, 36. Curtis’s Botanical Magazine 27(4), 365-375
Wenger, L., Corcoran, M., Hamilton, M.A. & Clubbe, C. (2010). Report on the status of Cordia rupicola Urban, UK Overseas Territories, RBG Kew. UKOTs Horticulture Protocol Report # 3
Clubbe, C., Hamilton, M., and Corcoran, M. (2009). Rondeletia buxifolia, Rubiaceae. Plant in Peril 32. Curtis's Botanical Magazine 26(1&2): 131-141.
Corcoran, M., Hamilton, M., Robbins, S.R., & Clubbe, C. (2008). Report on the status of Rondeletia buxifolia Vahl., UK Overseas Territories, RBG Kew. UKOTs Horticulture Protocol Report # 2
Hamilton, M.A., Clubbe, C., Robbins, S.K. & Barrios, S. (2008). Plants and habitats of the Centre Hills and Montserrat. In: Young, R.P. (ed.), A Biodiversity Assessment of the Centre Hills, Montserrat. Durrell Conservation Monographs, Vol. 1, pp 40-55. Downloadable from www.durrell.org/Conservation/Where-we-work/Caribbean-Islands/.
Hamilton, M.A., Robbins, S.K., Johnson, N.P., Sanchez, M.D. & Clubbe, C. (2007). Report on the status of Acacia anegadensis Britton, UK Overseas Territories, RBG. Kew UKOTs Horticulture Protocol Report # 1
Selected Earlier Publications
Hamilton, M.A. & Crellin, L. (2005). The UK Overseas Territories wreath of remembrance. Forum News 26: 3.
Hamilton, M.A. (2005). In situ study of endangered island endemics of the Virgin Islands. Combined Proceedings of the International Plant Propagators Society 55.