Garrett, Lucy A. S.
Biodiversity Projects Officer
Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives
Conventions and Policy
Foreign Language(s):Spanish (Intermediate), Swahili (basic), French (basic)
Qualifications & Appointments
BSc (Hons), Durrell Institute of Conservation & Ecology, Univ. of Kent, 2002
MSc. DIC, Centre for Environmental Policy, Imperial College London, 2007
Support Kew's role as the UK CITES Scientific Authority for plants, develop CITES capacity building tools, and focusing on developing research into sustainable plant trade for livelihoods whilst supporting implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity
Carry out analyses on Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) trade data and communicate this information to a targeted audience. Provision of support to the UK Border Agency (previously HM Revenue and Customs), Kew's horticultural collections and Defra, with advice, inspections, identification and assistance with the seizure of CITES controlled material. Carry out research on plant groups found in international trade and impacts for livelihoods and sustainable harvesting. Support and manage production of publications by compiling CITES checklists or production of training manuals. Provision of CITES policy advice and training for Kew Staff and UK university students. Represent the UK at CITES regional and international Plants Committee meetings.
Selected Recent Publications
- Selected Publications 2005-2009
- Wang, N., Garrett, L. & McGowan, P. (In Press) Pheasants, conservation, sacred groves and local culture in Sichuan, China. In: Pungetti, G., Oviedo, G. & Hooke, D. (Eds) Sacred Species and Sites. Guardians of Biocultural Diversity. Cambridge University Press.
- Bjørndal, T. & Garrett, L. (2009) An economic analysis of tuna fisheries in the Indian Ocean. Centre for the Economic Management of Aquatic Resources, University of Portsmouth.
- Bjørndal, T. & Garrett, L. (2009) Trends in Italian fisheries markets 1970 - 2005. Centre for the Economic Management of Aquatic Resources, University of Portsmouth.
- Bjørndal, T. & Garrett, L. (2009) Trends in Portuguese fisheries landings 1970 – 2005. Centre for the Economic Management of Aquatic Resources, University of Portsmouth.
- Garrett, L. (2008) Attitudinal Values of Sacred Groves, West Sichuan, China. World Pheasant Association Annual Review 2008.