Honorary Research Fellow
Herbarium, Library, Art & Archives
Honorary Research Fellow
- Drylands: Africa
- Monocots I: General Alismatids & Lilioids
- Monocots II: Commelinids
- Wet Tropics: SE Asia
Foreign Language(s):Indonesian, French, German
Qualifications & Appointments
BA, Univ. Cambridge, 1967
MA, Univ. Cambridge, 1970
PhD, Univ. Cambridge, 1970.
Board of directors, International Palm Society
Co-Editor of Principes/PALMS
Council, Botanical Society of the British Isles (1976–1980)
Committee, SE Asian rain-forest research, Royal Society (1984–89)
Editorial board, Flora of Thailand 1985–2001
Editorial board, Kew Bulletin (1984–2000)
Research Associate, National Tropical Botanical Garden, Kauai
Hon. Member, Montgomery Botanical Center
Research Associate, Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden.
Phylogeny and monography of palms; floristics of SE Asia and Madagascar.
Research focusing on evolution and diversity in the palm family. Addressing phylogenetic relationships of palms at all taxonomic levels using a range of data sources. Continuing to assess generic delimitation and relationships in palms after the publication of the benchmark family monograph, ‘Genera Palmarum' Ed. 2. Exploring the nature and origins of global patterns of palm diversity. Floristic interests in the Old World, especially SE Asia and Madagascar. Working towards a monograph of palms in New Guinea, a collaborative project integrating taxonomic research and capacity-building. Developing new approaches to the delivery of taxonomic data via the web.
- UK Darwin Initiative Papuan Plant Diversity - COMPLETED 2006
- Diversity and Conservation of Madagascar Palms
- Field Guides: published and planned
- Genera Palmarum: the Evolution and Classification of Palms Edition 2 - COMPLETED 2008
- Madagascar Threatened Plants Project - COMPLETED
- Systematics and Evolution of Palms
- Monocot Checklist-Project Completed
- Palms for the Flora of Thailand
- Field Guide to the Palms of Madagascar - COMPLETED 2006
- Palms of New Guinea
- Palmweb - Palms of the world On-line
Selected Recent Publications
- Dransfield, J, Uhl, N.W, Asmussen, C.B., Baker, W.J., Harley, M.M., & Lewis, C.E. (2008). Genera Palmarum. The Evolution and Classification of Palms. Kew Publishing. pp732.
- Dransfield, J., Beentje, H., Britt, A, Ranarivelo, T. & Razafitsalama, J. 2006. Field Guide to the Palms of Madagascar. Kew Publishing. pp172. (Published in two editions – English and Malagasy)
- Baker, W.J. & Dransfield, J. 2006. Field Guide to the palms of New Guinea. Kew Publishing. pp108. (Published in two editions – English and Indonesian)
- Govaerts, R & Dransfield, J. 2006. World Checklist of Palms. Kew Publishing. pp 223.
- Dransfield, J., Rakotoarinivo, M., Baker, W.J., Bayton, R.P., Fisher, J.B., Horn, J.W., Leroy, B. & Metz, X. 2008. A new Coryphoid palm genus from Madagascar. Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 156: 79–91.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Dransfield, J., Tesoro, F.O. & Manokaran, N. (eds) (2002). Rattan. Current research issues and prospects for conservation and sustainable development. Non Wood Forest Products 14. FAO, Rome. pp272.
- Dransfield, J. & Baker, W.J. (2003). An account of the Papuasian species of Calamus (Arecaceae) with paired fruit. Kew Bulletin 58: 371–387.
- Dransfield, J. & Beentje, H. (2003). Arecaceae, Palms. In Goodman, S.M. & Benstead, J.P. (eds). The Natural History of Madagascar. Chicago University Press. 448–457.
- Evans, T.D., Sengdala, K., Thammavong, B., Viengkham, O.V. & Dransfield, J. (2002). A synopsis of the rattans (Arecaceae: Calamoideae) of Laos and neighbouring parts of Indochina. Kew Bulletin 57: 1–84.
- Dransfield, J. & Patel, M. (2005). Rattans of Borneo. An interactive key on CD-rom. Royal Botanic Gardens Kew,