Qualifications & Appointments
BSc (Hons), Univ. Reading, 1990.
PhD, Univ. Reading, 1994.
Editorial Committee, Kew Bulletin.
Taxonomy, systematics and conservation of Rubiaceae, with a focus on the Old World Tropics and Coffea (coffee); CITES for bulbs
Taxonomy, systematics and conservation of Old World Rubiaceae, with regional focus on Africa, Madagascar and selected regions in SE Asia. Madagascar is the main area for research activities, in collaboration with institutes in Madagascar, Europe and the USA. Taxonomic research covers monography, regional revisions, global checklists, and accelerated surveys. Systematic research includes generic delimitation, tribal classification and molecular systematics. Main study groups include Coffea and Psychotria, and genera within the tribes Coffeeae, Octotropideae, Psychotrieae and Gardenieae. Study of Coffea includes molecular systematics, taxonomy, and the production of baseline resources for conservation, including databases, GIS and identification tools. Main projects are the Rubiaceae of Madagascar, Coffee Phylogeny Project, Baseline Data for the Conservation and Sustainable Development of Coffee Species, and World Checklist of Rubiaceae, and Searching for the Hosts of Coffee Berry Borer. Engaged in the development of taxonomic products and GIS products for use in conservation scientific applications; and committed to training and supervision in Africa and Madagascar. Long-standing research interest in petaloid monocots, particularly Galanthus and Leucojum, and acting as scientific advisor to CITES for bulbous plants.
- Baseline Data for the Conservation of Coffee Species
- Coffee Phylogeny Project
- Rubiaceae of Africa
- Rubiaceae of Madagascar
- Searching for the Hosts of Coffee Berry Borer
- Significant Trade in CITES Plants
- Systematics and biogeography of Phyllanthus (Phyllanthaceae) of Madagascar
- Tropical Plant Families: An Identification Handbook
- World Checklist and Bibliography of Rubiaceae
Selected Recent Publications
- Davis, A.P., Chester, M., Maurin, O. & Fay, M.F. (2007). Searching for the relatives of Coffea (Rubiaceae, Ixoroideae): the circumscription and phylogeny of Coffeeae based on plastid sequence data and morphology. American Journal of Botany 94: 313–329.
- Davis, A.P., Govaerts, R., Bridson, D.M., Ruhsam, M., Moat, J. & Brummitt, N.A. (2009). A global assessment of distribution, diversity, endemism, and taxonomic effort in the Rubiaceae. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 96: 68–78.
- Davis, A.P., Govaerts, R., Bridson, D.M. & Stoffelen, P. (2006). An annotated taxonomic conspectus of the genus Coffea (Rubiaceae). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 152: 465–512.
- Davis, A.P. & Rakotonasolo, F. (2008). A taxonomic revision of the baracoffea alliance: nine remarkable Coffea species from western Madagascar. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 158, 355–390.
- Maurin, O., Davis, A.P., Chester, M., Mvungi, E.F., Jaufeerally-Fakim, Y. & Fay, M.F. (2007). Towards a Phylogeny for Coffea (Rubiaceae): identifying well-supported lineages based on nuclear and plastid DNA sequences. Annals of Botany 100: 1565–1583.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Davis, A.P. (1999). The Genus Galanthus L. A Botanical Magazine Monograph. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon. Published in association with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Pp. 297.
- Davis, A.P., Bridson, D., Jarvis, C. & Govaerts, R. (2001). The typification and characterization of the genus Psychotria L. (Rubiaceae). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 135: 35–42.
Davis, A.P., McGough, N., Mathew, B. & Grey-Wilson, C.G. (1999). CITES Bulb Checklist. The Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Pp. 134.
Davis, A.P. & Mvungi, E.F. (2004). Two new and endangered species of Coffea (Rubiaceae) from the Eastern Arc Mountains (Tanzania) and notes on associated conservation issues. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 146: 237–245.
Lledó, M.D., Davis, A.P., Crespo, M.B., Chase, M.W. & Fay, M.F. (2004). Phylogenetic analysis of Leucojum and Galanthus (Amaryllidaceae) based on plastid matK and nuclear ribosomal spacer (ITS) DNA sequences and morphology. Plant Systematics and Evolution 246: 223-243.