Qualifications & Appointments
BSc (Hons) Tropical Environmental Science, Univ. Aberdeen, 2000
MSc The Taxonomy and Biodiversity of Plants, Univ. Edinburgh / Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, 2004
Taxonomy and systematics of Rubiaceae focusing on the Old World Tropics; curation of collections and maintenance of databases.
Taxonomy of Old World Rubiaceae, with a regional focus on SE Asia and Madagascar. Taxonomic research within tribe Octotropideae. Responsibility for curation of Rubiaceae and the preservation of Rubiaceae collections. Preparing specimens for loans or as gifts to other institutions. Maintenance of specimen, geographical and classification databases within the section. Fieldwork to collect specimens and data undertaken in Madagascar, Sabah, South Georgia and Vietnam.
- Biodiversity inventory and monitoring to conserve critically threatened lowland forest in Sumatra
- Taxonomic research on ecologically important plant families in Southeast Asia
- Rubiaceae of Madagascar
- The Dye-Plants of Indonesia
- Tropical Plant Families: An Identification Handbook
- Seed Conservation in the UK Overseas Territories
- Invasive Species in the UK Overseas Territories
- Survey of Introduced Vascular Plants in South Georgia
Selected Recent Publications
- Davis, A.P.; Govaërts, R.; Briggs, M. (2007). Indian Ocean Mapouria species transferred to Psychotria (Rubiaceae-Psychotrieae). Blumea 52(2) 245-262.
- Groeninckx I., Briggs M., Davis A.P., De Block P., Robbrecht E., Smets E. and S. Dessein (in press). A new herbaceous Rubiaceae genus on Madagascar.
- Osborne, J.; Borosova, R.; Briggs, M.; Cable, S. (2009). South Georgia Introduced Vascular Plants. EC funded Project Report. http://www.kew.org/gis/downloads/South%20Georgia%20Introduces%20Vascular%20Plants%202009.pdf