Bidgood (Lee), Gilian S. [Sally] (Retired)
Foreign Language(s):very basic Amharic, Danish and Swahili
Qualifications & Appointments
Systematics of Bignoniaceae and Scrophulariaceae, Flora of Tropical East Africa, floristic, ethnobotanical and phytogeographical studies in Ethiopia.
Taxonomic work on African Bignoniaceae. Large input into ‘Flora of Tropical East Africa' (Bignoniaceae) and ‘Flora of Ethiopia' (Bignoniaceae). Taxonomic studies on various plant families (e.g. Apiaceae and Fabaceae) based on general identification work as member of the Drylands Africa team. Floristic, ethnobotanical and phytogeographical studies in Ethiopia in co-operation with the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Identification of incoming specimens from north-eastern, eastern and southern Africa prior to incorporation into the Herbarium.
Selected Recent Publications
- Bidgood, S. (2001). Ethiopian artefacts made with plant materials: vanishing wonders. Biologiske Skrifter 54: 311-318.
- Friis, I. & Bidgood, S. (2001 ). Additional observations on Dombeya kefaensis (Sterculiaceae) and the diversity of Dombeya in S.W. Ethiopia. Nordic Journal of Botany 21(4): 337-340.
Selected Earlier Publications
- Bidgood, G.S. (1988). Bignoniaceae. Key to the cultivated species. Flora Zambesiaca 8(3): 61–64.
- Bidgood, G.S. (1992). Bauhinia loeseneriana reinstated, with notes on the forests of the Rondo Plateau, SE Tanzania. Kew Bull. 47: 759–764.
- Bidgood, G.S. (1994). Synopsis of the continental African species of Fernandoa (Bignoniaceae). Kew Bull. 49: 381–390.
- Bidgood, G.S. & Brummitt, R.K. (1998). A revision of the genus Neuracanthus (Acanthaceae). Kew Bull. 53: 1–76.