Kew's Millennium Seed Bank - seed count
Find out how many of the world's seeds and plant species we have saved in our seed bank this month, and how many we have saved in total.
We have now saved over one and a half billion seeds at Kew's Millennium Seed Bank
Saved for the future in Kew's Millennium Seed Bank
As of 24th October 2013 we have in total:
- 33,351 species saved and
- 1,945,905,801 seeds in storage.
Plant species saved from extinction
- We hold 12 species which are globally extinct in the wild (as classified by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature ). as at Sept 2011
Since it started, Kew's MSBP has...
Recent success stories
- In February 2009 the Australian bush fires wiped-out all wild plants of shining nematolepis (Nematolepis wilsonii). Fortunately, our partners in Australia had already collected this seed. Read more about this story...
- Partners in the Republic of South Africa found the last remaining 17 plants of Protea odorata and have now started to re-introduce it into the wild. Read more about this story...
- It took two arduous expeditions to Burkina Faso, which involved camping in lion-territory, to find only 5 trees of Gardenia nitida, a rare and endangered species. Read more about this story...
How you can help
Each day the world’s plants are more and more at risk. If we continue on our current path, we will lose a species a day for the next 50 years.
By making a donation to the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership, you can help one of the largest and most ambitious conservation projects in the world make a real difference on the ground. Find out how your donation can make a difference.
About our statistics
Our statistics are gathered on a monthly basis and estimated based on the latest scientific data. View our seed count in detail.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew