Flora of Oman
The Flora of Oman is a descriptive flora of the native plants of the Sultanate of Oman.
Juniperus excelsa ssp. polycarpos (Photo: S. Breckle)
The Flora of Oman describes 1212 species of vascular plants found in the Sultanate of Oman. For the treatment of each family, keys are provided to the genera and all species within the genus. Species descriptions include notes on distribution, habitat, flowering and fruiting times, conservation status and any local uses that the species may have. Details of type specimens are provided and all relevant synonyms are included. Vernacular names, where known, are provided. Distribution maps for species are provided and an accompanying CD includes photographs of plants taken in their natural habitat.
The Flora of Oman is the first descriptive flora for the country. It gives detailed information on the diversity and richness of the plant life of Oman and its conservation status.
- Vol. 1. Piperaceae - Primulaceae
- Vol. 2. Crassulaceae - Apiaceae
- Vol. 3. Loganaceae - Asteraceae (Compositae)
- Vol. 4. Monocots and Commelinids
Project partners and collaborators
Saddiqa Ramadhan, Azza Al Jabri
Norbert Kilian, Botanic Garden and Museum, Berlin
Key papers published 2006-2010:
- Ghazanfar, S.A. (2010). A new species of Trichodesma (Boraginaceae) from Oman, Arabia. Kew Bulletin 65: 97–100.
- Ghazanfar, S.A. (2010). Species page on Commiphora guidottii. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Available online.
- Ghazanfar, S.A. (2010). Species page on Boswellia sacra. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Available online.
- Ghazanfar, S.A. (2007). Flora of the Sultanate of Oman, Vol. 2, Crassulaceae-Apiaceae (Text + photo CD-ROM). Scripta Botanica Belgica. Belgium: National Botanic Garden of Belgium, Meise. 220 pp.
- Ghazanfar, S.A. (2003). Flora of the Sultanate of Oman, Vol. 1, Piperaceae-Primulaceae (Text + photo CD-ROM). Scripta Botanica Belgica Series 25. Belgium: National Botanic Garden of Belgium, Meise. 262pp.
Conferences and workshops:
- 2008 Analysing and documenting the biodiversity in the Middle East, 20–23 October, Aqaba, Jordan. Paper presented: Floristic diversity of the Sultanate of Oman.
- 2007 VI Plant Life of Southwest Asia Symposium, 25–29 June, Eskisehir, Turkey. Plenary talk: Conservation in developing countries.